• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty ARB

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi... Bad news yesterday. Went to change the fluids in my new 199p Cherokee, removed the front diff cover, as there is no drain plug ( who would charge thousands on an ARB install and fail to add a drain plug???) Well I found the oil was black and metallic, water got in. the prior owner did say he hit high water and had to have the alternator replaced from that, then he parked it for several years. The diff case was full of gritty "rust sand" The ring gear is pitted with rust on the teeth surfaces, the diff case is rusted, the diff carrier exterior is pretty free of rust however. The ARB still engaged, when tested before I bought it.

I assume the all the bearings are shot, all gears, ring, pinion, and spiders are rusted, and the sliding collars also.
The diff carrier is amazingly not rusted

I posted photo on Cherokee Talk website.

Has anyone here done a rebuild of the ARB unit before, and is there anything special I should know? Tips?

Major bummer, no Yosemite trip next weekend in my Jeep. What a mess. I just got the steering sorted out, now this, bummed:tears:

Dana 30, 4.1 ratio

Pull the diff out and send it back to ARB in washington, they'll go through it and give you a really good price on the service.

For me, I sent both lockers back, they gave me new sealing rings, install kits, upgraded the front to 30 spline and wouldn't even take payment to ship them back to me.

As for the lack of drain plugs, you really don't want a drain plug on a diff because it's going to get beaten up on the rocks and will start to leak. It will also be a pain to remove once the head has been beaten down to nub.

As sideways said, call ARB - they have the best customer service in the industry.

And yes drain plugs are not standard. Its a good idea to pop the diff covers off and inspect inside at oil change time anyway.

Pick up a lubelocker gasket if you do not have one already.

Back