• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T&J frame stiffeners and long arms

bigdodgeram00

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been thinking about upgrading the suspension and going the long arm route. I have IRO's long arm kit on my trail ZJ and want to put either IRO or Rough Country's long arm kit on. The only problem I see with that is the fact that I have T&J frame stiffeners on the XJ. The P.O., thought it would be a good idea, which I like but with me wanting to upgrade to long arms, kind of need to cut that lower control arm mount, which the T&J FS is welded to. Any suggestions on what I should do. Should I just cut the lower control arm mounts off and leave it, or do some sort of bracket to keep the T&J FS in use.

Not trying to turn this into a iron rock offroad long arm debate, but that kit sucks. Stay away from it IMO.

Anyway, i dont see any problem in cutting off the control arm mounts. I would think that your frame stiffeners would be welded in other places.

Okay. I'll probably figure something out.

What I dont understand is why people are so against Iron Rock. On my trail ZJ I have Iron Rock's Long arm kit and 4.5 inch springs from them and everything works awesome and never had a problem. I have also been looking into Rough Country's Long Arm upgrade for the XJ but have decided yet. Does everyone hate RC as well?

What I dont understand is why people are so against Iron Rock. On my trail ZJ I have Iron Rock's Long arm kit and 4.5 inch springs from them and everything works awesome and never had a problem. I have also been looking into Rough Country's Long Arm upgrade for the XJ but have decided yet. Does everyone hate RC as well?

First you should be just fine cutting off the lower control arm mounts so go for it!

Second, I have been looking at RC's kit since it came out as it is the most affordable kit and you get quite a bit for your money. Most complained about how the transmission mount bolts were exposed on the bottom of the crossmember to being hit by rocks when out on the trail but they have since fixed that and now have the holes for the bolts recessed so they are not longer in danger of being hit. Some people have minor issues with fitment but that tends to happen on mass produced parts like these. The biggest complaint about RC is their flex joints. They had an early design that was help together with snap rings and they failed constantly and RC had to replace so many that they redesigned them to have a preload ring. RC made the redesign because the previous design was so bad but they will never admit it. Some have still reported bad performance and need for replacement of the redesign joints but that is really the only major complaint. Keep the joints really greased and constantly grease them aften and they should hopefully last a decent amount of time. If you don't like the joints then just buy some Currie Johnny Joints to replace the whole joint and you will never have anymore trouble from them. I say go for the RC!

if they work for your other rig then go for it.

if ya want to hear what other people think of that system then search for it. we dont need another thread cluttered up with another iron rock debate.

Back