• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant boiling

Green2door

NAXJA Forum User
So when I got home I notice coolant flowing out of my overflow and boiling. According to my temp gauge I never over heated I actually ran my normal temps. I just replaced the water pump and thermostat housing and replaced the thermostat a little while back. From what I know it could be one of the following.

Radiator cap
Thermostat
Head gaskets
Air in the system (I burped and flushed the system)

This happened once before and it was my thermostat, however, that time I over heated this time I didn't. I'll run a compression test before I tear into the head. When I run it with no cap I have no bubbles.

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Year is critical???

It's most likely a weak radiator cap, but it's also somewhat normal depending on how you were driving before you shut the Jeep off.
Wasn't doing anything outside the norm. Got off the highway, sat at a few lights and pulled into the drive way.

For head gasket a compression test can be useful, or also there are test kits you can buy or have a shop do that can detect if combustion gasses are present in the coolant..

It was likely just some additional trapped air, and/or a weak radiator cap. Install a new genuine Jeep or STANT radiator cap and it should be OK. Monitor the results.

Seems to have been the radiator cap. Had an extra in my garage replaced the old one and no issues thus far. Thanks for everyone's help. I also did the compression check and everything was way better than I thought lol.

Back