• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Leak at Rail

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
I did the head gasket on my 87 xj. It is a 4.0. Everything is fine except one thing when I reconnected the fuel line to the rail it leaks a lot of fuel out of that connection point. I replaced the plastic connector but it is still leaking. Is there an O-ring or something inside that connection that I am missing? Something I haven't thought of?

It's been a while since I looked but that used to be a dealer-only part. The connection consists of the plastic squeeze-lock connector, two o-rings and a spacer between. The o-rings are very easy to cut. The repair kits were about 9 bucks last time I got one.

its a stupid design, try to clean out the female connection (the fuel rail cups) with a peice of scotchbrite, it accumulates gunk in the corner, instead of looking like this: |_|, it looks like a U, with gunk in the corners.

also, play around with the bolt that holds it down, i will get leakage out of mine once and a while, and have to bust out the socket set. try to hold it inward with one hand, while tighting the 13mm bolt down with the other.

good luck, and invest in a fire extinquisher for the jeep!

haha I will try that and fire extinguisher might be a good idea...

if it still has the original injectors a fire extinguisher is a mandatory bit.
The renix fuel rail is touchy. You likely need the o rings mentioned above.

Yes you need o-rings. When you disconnect the fuel line at the rail you should always replace the whole connector (disco) the clip, the spacers and the o-ring...and the fire extinguisher is no joke. If you're leaking fuel onto a hot manifold *KABOOM*. I wouldn't even drive it til you get the leak resolved.

If you take it off you should see - plastic spacer, o-ring, plastic spacer. They're not that hard to find, look in the HELP! section at NAPA, Autozone etc. Also they may say Ford, they may say Chrysler, they probably won't say "for Jeep"

Yes you need o-rings. When you disconnect the fuel line at the rail you should always replace the whole connector (disco) the clip, the spacers and the o-ring...and the fire extinguisher is no joke. If you're leaking fuel onto a hot manifold *KABOOM*. I wouldn't even drive it til you get the leak resolved.

If you take it off you should see - plastic spacer, o-ring, plastic spacer. They're not that hard to find, look in the HELP! section at NAPA, Autozone etc. Also they may say Ford, they may say Chrysler, they probably won't say "for Jeep"

last time I did it I think they said ford. it;s a generic quick connect fitting. just make sure it's for fuel, or it may have not fuel friendly or rings.

last time I had to get one of those quick connectors for my 88 I got one from rigid steel IIRC. its an omix ada part but hard to find sometimes. My local napa only had the o-rings.

I did rings on the injectors. I'm talking about where the fuel line runs into the rail itself.

yes, and the last time I had to take mine apart the Help section had the generic quick disconnect fitting, with the new plastic clip and o rings you need. It was marked for a ford, but worked fine on my 87.

I did rings on the injectors. I'm talking about where the fuel line runs into the rail itself.

That's right. The one in the front at the fuel pressure regulator and the connection at the rear. Each end has a connecter, you need two clips with spacers and o-rings.

Back