• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle shaft stuck...

thisfirstlove

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I am re-gearing my front end (dana 30) and cannot seem to remove the passengers side axle shaft. I searched but to no avail. What's weird is that the driver's side came out easily and about 3 months ago both came out to install a locker, I have a feeling a broke the actual shaft. Anyways, are there any tricks or tips on how to get this out? Brute force isn't working for me right now. Any help would be appreciated. thanks guys!

thisfirstlove said:
Hey guys,
I am re-gearing my front end (dana 30) and cannot seem to remove the passengers side axle shaft. I searched but to no avail. What's weird is that the driver's side came out easily and about 3 months ago both came out to install a locker, I have a feeling a broke the actual shaft. Anyways, are there any tricks or tips on how to get this out? Brute force isn't working for me right now. Any help would be appreciated. thanks guys!

the early xj disco 30s have a c clip in the carrier holding the passengers side inner shaft in place

is it vacumm disco or not? I f everything is correct, get a drum off the rear, flip it around and put the lugs on loose (only a couple of threads) and use it as a slide hammer.

Hey, its a non c-clip non disco(no vacume lines) D30. i dont wanna wail to hard on the hub...thy're expensive...but if thats the only way. if i did snap the shaft or the u-joint would that cause this problem?

Last edited:
ok, don't "wail" on them, but you can hit them hard. The hub is the last thing you will destroy if you keep enough thread engagement in there and hit each bolt, not just one. You may round off a bolt head if they're THAT stuck, but those can be replaced easily. This is how I've always gotten pesky shafts out, and never had an ill effect.

If you're concerned find a small piece of ply wood or aluminum, and put that between the bolt and hammer.

_nicko_

I keep 3 extra bolts around just for pounding on to get unit-hubs out of knuckles. The stock 12 point headed ones set aside and go buy 3 that are longer at the parts store to smack on.

Last one I took apart I was hitting the heads with an 8lb sledge to get it out. When you put it back in make sure some anti seize is on it.

thisfirstlove said:
Right then, BFH it is! I truley love my BFH...

Be shure to get an extra set of bolts. You will never get a wrench on those 12 point heads again if you smack them with your BFH.

I just got some regular 6 points to pound on.

Well, the hub is attached to the axle shaft and neither will come out by normal means. the drivers side slid right out, so im assuming this problem can be solved with alittle elbow grease

Sounds like the unit bearing is stuck, you're trying to pull them out together, right?

I've always removed the axle nut first and removed them seperately. To get unit bearings out the only good way is to pound on the bolts in an even manner, you do not want to pull it out by the lug nuts or hitting the wheel flange as this could cause damage to the assembely.

All you need is paitence and strength and maybe a little bit of PB Blaster, I haven't found a unit bearing that defeated me yet.

After you get the unit bearing removed you should be able to simply slide the axle shaft out with no resistance.

Sequoia

I agree with the 3 sacrificial bolts... they are M12x1.75mm pitch, IIRC mine are 100mm long. I usually loosen the 36mm hub bolt but leave it attached to the stub, but if you remove it, and the hub from behind the knuckle with those bolts, the two halves of the hub "probably" won't fall apart.

Definately sand the funk off the hub mating surfaces and use anti-sieze when you reassemble it.

Get a chisel, aim it behind the bearing, hit it with the hammer. Do this around the bearing, dont worry about denting the dust cover on the back. Much easier!

rock rash said:
Get a chisel, aim it behind the bearing, hit it with the hammer. Do this around the bearing, dont worry about denting the dust cover on the back. Much easier!

After a hub has been unmated once, that or a light rap with a mallet will pop it... Some hubs are in there "tight"... I spent 10 hours assing around with my first one till I was turned on to the back-bolt method... then it took 5 minutes with the whacker.

YMMV :laugh3: in hindsight the first hub wasn't as bad as the first front leaf or rear shackle bolt that required a commando attack.

Back