• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle bodies

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
Which is a better TB, the 58mm or the 62mm. Not sure I am understanding the difference other than less restrictive. Also, why would a 62mm be less expensive than a 58mm? And what is Renix?

Silent

Renix = Renault-Bendix. They made the computer/controls for the AMC Jeeps from '87-'91. These TB's are smaller (and more costly to bore) than the Chrysler "HO"'s from '91-present. I bore HO's to 62.5mm. MIKE

Ok, thanks. Now I know I do not have to worry about a Renix TB. LOL
How bout a particular brand out there that is better than others, any ideas?

Silent

Save your money, bore your own tb out to 60mm. You can do this on a mill in about 15 minutes. The stock tb goes from a 60mm bore to a 55mm bore (past the butterfly). Do a search on tech articles for boring your own. I dont think a 62 gives that much more of a performance gain over a 60, and damn, the 60 comes so much easier. If you insist on bolting in and going big, it looks like XJ-armor is selling 62mm tbs on ebay that are painted all nice and pretty for about $150, not a horrible deal.

Rubicon Express makes one that looks like red billet aluminum. BBK also supposedly makes an aluminum throttle body, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

JONNYD said:
I dont think a 62 gives that much more of a performance gain over a 60...

That's right, It doesn't, at least on a 4.0 anyway. A 60mm TB is all you need on a 4.0 that's limited to 5250rpm.
The advantage is probably slightly greater on a stroker but even there, a 62mm TB is all you need if it's limited to the same rpm..

Back