• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator stop leak stuff

hi all, i'm new here. i have problem and need advice. thanks.

ok my radiator has a leak, its a slow one, not extremely slow, but slow.

so anyway, i got this Liquid Aluminum Stop Leak stuff, and i get what its supposed to do, but does it really work?

i think more than repair it, it would only make it worse.
its crap in the cooling system that the car doesnt need, and it would mess with the water pump wouldnt it?

ive already considered replacing it, and am saving up for it.

what are your guys's experiences if any, or opinions?

No band-aids, fix the problem! What you put in a motor usually can't be removed.

I would never put that crap in mine.

Parts store radiators are cheap. Go that route or what I've done in the past is drain the system down so it stops leaking, clean the leaking area and pack some JB Weld in there...assuming the leak is in the fins since you mentioned AL stop leak. If it's deep within the fins, you might have better luck forcing some high temp silicone in there.

Fix it right or bandaid it from the outside until you can fix it right. That's my $.02.

I have used Bars Leaks stop leak pellets, and the version you mentioned, and the bottle with the small pellets and the black fluid (water soluble oil) since the mid 1970s on about 18 rigs, some that I had for 10-15 years (after first using it).

I just replaced a radiator 4 weeks ago on one daughter's 95 Tahoe and discovered it also had a massive head gasket leak blowing steam out the tail pipe. The Bar leaks products sealed that leak weeks ago. It was leaking 1.5 gallons of water out the tail pipe in 2-30 miles 4 weeks ago. Now it is down to maybe 1/2 coffee cup in 100 miles, and I have not even used the heavy duty version yet. Even I was shocked at how well it worked on the Tahoe.

Used it on a cracked head-head gasket leak on 96 Ford and got another 30,000 miles and year out of it and drove it half way across the country round trip, before we pulled the cracked heads.

Chemical engineer at Preston in 1994 told me that all new cars have the dry pellets in the new radiators and have been doing that since before WWII to keep the radiators leak free during warranty. :D

The fiber pellets are made of the same fiber used in head gaskets!!! No they will not hurt anything. The newer stuff is more interesting. I have not lost an engine or radiator in 10-15 years of ownership after I used the Bars Leaks products. Over 50 years ago, Race car drivers and mechanics use to use crack pepper from the grocery store. It is also a plant fiber like the Bars leaks uses....I prefer the fiber pellets only, with antifreeze. And the black water soluble oil/pellet version if using just water due to the leak size, till the leak is gone.

hi all, i'm new here. i have problem and need advice. thanks.

ok my radiator has a leak, its a slow one, not extremely slow, but slow.

so anyway, i got this Liquid Aluminum Stop Leak stuff, and i get what its supposed to do, but does it really work?

i think more than repair it, it would only make it worse.
its crap in the cooling system that the car doesnt need, and it would mess with the water pump wouldnt it?

ive already considered replacing it, and am saving up for it.

what are your guys's experiences if any, or opinions?

Back