• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unable to open hood... Help?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a new hood-latch-cable. Pre-tested its' operation. Shut the hood. Unable to re-open.

Tried:
1) Video on how to release the latches. I am unable to reach them because the skid-plate is in the way. No skid-plate on the exampled Jeep

2) Video on how to release the latches by removing the headlights, remove the two bolts (each-side) that hold the latches. In the video, his hood popped open
Sadly mine did not

Suggestions?

Successful results?

If you removed the two bolts behind/above the headlights on either side, the hood will probably not pop open by itself, but it should open.

If you removed the two bolts behind/above the headlights on either side, the hood will probably not pop open by itself, but it should open.

Agree... It should have just like the video showed. But it didn't. :banghead:

Maybe I will be able to push up on the hood from underneath if I remove the skid-plate... Still pondering.:dunno:

Why remove the skid plate? Push gently on the hood anywhere you can get to it with a stick or broom handle. Once you move it a 1/2 inch or so you can grab it with your fingers.

2) Video on how to release the latches by removing the headlights, remove the two bolts (each-side) that hold the latches. In the video, his hood popped open
Sadly mine did not

Suggestions?

Successful results?
Those latches/brackets above the headlights also have the springs that push the hood up when it is unlatched. You will have to manually lift the hood after unbolting those latches.

Those latches/brackets above the headlights also have the springs that push the hood up when it is unlatched. You will have to manually lift the hood after unbolting those latches.

This is where I may have went wrong. If I had waited for suggestions, I would have left the the corner latches in and tried to release the center latch from underneath the carriage.

Open!

- Removed the two bolts behind each of the headlights to release the two end latches.
- Removed the skid-plate.
- Slid a wooden-pole up between the fan and radiator, pushed up on the front-center of the hood
- Hood opened enough for my buddy to open it all the way.

Yeah!

Ready to re-install...

Parts cleaned, ready to re-install. I could use a couple of pictures showing the area under the hood latch/spring area... Help?

Hood-release is way too tight when re-opening the hood. Help?

Back