• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Seal

Ridered4583

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 99 Sport 4x4 Auto as a winter beater. Needed to do a heater core in the wife's DD 98 and I didn't get to it before the cold came. Got this one with only 160k on the clock and everything working for about the price of having the heater core on the other jeep done at a shop so I'm happy. Only problem I see so far is the seal around the windshield is shrunken to the point that it is only attached along 3/4 of the top and the middle of the bottom. I have a small leak in hard rain up top. Do I need that seal? I can order a new one but without removing the windshield and reinstalling with new sealant it doesn't seem like it would help keep any water out. So my question is; Is it needed? Could I just remove the shrunken rubber seal (which is mostly gone already) and apply a solid bead of sealant in that gap? If so what type? I have heard NOT to use silicone in windshield applications. Roofing sealant? Automotive GOOP? or why wouldn't silicone work? I know this is super hack and I should really just get a windshield (and do my heater core for that matter) but money is tight and just want to be warm and dry on a budget.

I am not sure I am fully grasping the situation. I can't imagine how the windshield is held in place with only that little amount of contact area (if I am understanding correctly).

However, I can suggest that if you are looking for a sealant you should probably be looking for a butyl type of sealant. Perhaps something like this: https://www.amazon.com/C-R-Laurence..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=6SWWRQEVQ28DR10D5BPN

Search for "C.R. Laurence butyl windshield sealant" and you may find some other options/sources more to your liking.

The rubber gasket around the windshield. Seems earlier models have clips and hard trim pieces? That setup seems 100% for looks/aerodynamics? I am not caring what it looks like, just want it to be sealed and not have my windshield fly out. Does this trim piece actually do anything or is it just for a clean look? I was torn between roofing tar and aquarium sealant. The proposed sealants look like the best option.

I just saw another writeup where someone used urethane and just smoothed it out around the edges instead of replacing the rubber trim Something like this might work. https://www.amazon.com/3M-08693-Ure...1543119668&sr=8-4&keywords=windshield+sealant

This is what I was thinking. Fill the whole void with sealant. Silicone was my first thought but was told not to use silicone in windshield applications? This may be referring to installations? Or does this mean at all?

Yeah, the older Jeeps had little studs around the frame the held clips that held on the metal trim. The trim and the later rubber version are cosmetic. Normally the rubber is put on the end of the windshield before it's set into place, but it's possible (not easy though) to pull it out and replace it. The real seal is where the windshield is glued to the frame. You might have a little rust under there between the glue and the frame. You considered asking a windshield company to pull and reseal it? If you ever have to replace the windshield, having filling up the gap makes it a real pain.

Have you spoke with a auto glass shop? Here in Phoenix, I just had a new windsheild installed for a 100$.

The correct answer is to have the windshield professionally re-installed with a fresh gasket. For a few bucks you can be sure of zero water leakage, and that if you crash and deploy the airbags, that the airbags will save your face, and not just blow the windshield out onto the hood.

I had a leak that turned out to be the windshield on the passenger side just to center from the visor. Just so happened that I was having my body guy deal with some surface rust issues on my hood and roof so I asked him to deal with the windshield too. You never really know what is going on under there till you remove it. If it was more then just a remove and replace I figured he could deal with it. Turned out that was all that was needed with a fresh gasket.

The gasket does nothing as a seal -- it's purely cosmetic, just to "trim" the windshield

XJ windshields are glued in with the sealant -- Not sure exactly what they use but it's designed for windshield use -- Using another type of sealant to try and seal a leaking window will not work -- any sealant other than the proper, original stuff will not adhere to the existing sealant

If I where to "fill in the void" where the gasket goes with a sealant I would contact my local windshield repair place and ask to buy a tube of the proper sealant from them

I have used and had very good luck for 30 years using house out door window caulk, 30 year siliconized acrylic latex caulk for about $5 a tube, the bug caulk gun tubes, Works on metal, glass, wood, and so on, Even paintable. I have used it in/on vehicle rust leaks, window leaks for 30 + years. That said, are sure the leak is at the window? I had hidden rust holes hiding under the roof rails on mine. As far as the gap goes, just use the caulk above I just listed, IMHO. But from what I read, it does not sound like you found the real leak source?????? A garden hose and a helper is great way to find the real problem.

Ive been through this just recently. The fact that you have water leaking means that the seal that actually seals the windshield is bad. That outer seal helps to keep water out of that gap and for aerodynamics. But, that outer seal needs to be installed WITH the windshield. It will not properly install if you have the windshield already seated, they have to be done together. If they are done together, the outer seal will sit flat and not come out.

Jumping to conclusions there I think. Only way to confirm that is a garden hose on that part of the windshield, and even then it could be a rust hole near by. Vehicle leak sites are sneaky stealth cloaked Romulan devils that belong to the Un-usual suspects group.

Photos might be nice.... I have several vehicles that have spent ages tracking down leaks on. None were typical or common.

Ive been through this just recently. The fact that you have water leaking means that the seal that actually seals the windshield is bad. That outer seal helps to keep water out of that gap and for aerodynamics. But, that outer seal needs to be installed WITH the windshield. It will not properly install if you have the windshield already seated, they have to be done together. If they are done together, the outer seal will sit flat and not come out.

Back