• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft clunk, 99

I've had my Jeep since brand new and 20yrs later I do not have any oil leaks or strange clunks/sounds from anything. It still drives and sounds like brand new!

I have had 7 XJ's in the last 18 years, some clunked more, some clunked less, I don't worry about it. Noise/vibration/harshness were not the primary AMC design considerations for the XJ.

Interesting reading here >> https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1146705

Last edited:
Lack of "day one" maintenance/care. I lube my rig before and after each run and work on anything that fails immediately.

cant say ive had an ounce of neglect to this vehicle since Ive owned it.

so if diffs are good, and if its not the transfer case chain, can anything trans wise wear that much to cause such a clunk? front U joints are newer, rear very new, diffs newer (as far a vehicle life goes), tc stock.

I get a clack to engage gears is normal, but damn near a bang cant be standard?

further more ive never read of a diagnostic for such a thing, FSM is, well, lacking sometimes.

Have you checked and re-set the Throttle Valve (kickdown cable) which directly affects the shifting firmness ?

The AW-4 is a firm shifting transmission. Age and mileage increase the internal tolerances of the differentials and the slip yokes. The extra slack plus the firm shifts leads to clunks. Lack of maintenance or abuse by previous owners can add additional excess wear.

Last edited:
Have you checked and re-set the Throttle Valve (kickdown cable) which directly affects the shifting firmness ?

The AW-4 is a firm shifting transmission. Age and mileage increase the internal tolerances of the differentials and the slip yokes. The extra slack plus the firm shifts leads to clunks. Lack of maintenance or abuse by previous owners can add additional excess wear.
Kickdown cable is good, it's shifts fantastic while driving.

Back