• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idle speed

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any way to raise the idle speed on my 4.0 xj (auto). Right know it is idling 1 line above the zero line ( as if it were not running). I see a small threaded piece at the throttle stop but dont know if or how that would adjust it. I tried putting a small screw driver and several sizes of allen head wrenches in there but to no avail. Am I missing something ? Digger

Remove the IAC module from the TB and clean all the gunk off it. Do the same to the inside of the barrel that it sits in. There's a very good chance that this will cure the problem.

on the 90, make sure the throttle body is clean. then the next step is to back out the torx head screw on the side of the throttle body, if you dont see it thats because there is an aluminum plug that has never been removed. just pluck it out and you can see it. if it is still too low then there is an allen screw in the throttle body at the idle top, you can screw that out until you get about 900 rpm's in park or about 750 in drive. if it is manual , you want 750rpm's.if the last step is required, the tps will have to be readjusted.

I'm going to try the IAC first. It has been at least a year since it was cleaned so I will try that . I may just go ahead and spring for a new one.
I also have the availability of taking parts off my sons 89 to see if it makes any difference. Thanx for the info guys, by the way does anybody know what size that allen head is? I've tried several but can't seem to find one that fits.

DUH I was trying to fit an allen wrench in there. I never thought about that being a torx bolt. :dunce: I thinkI will still try and clean the IAC thou just because.
Thanx Digger

Back