• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inside mount a 30" tire cheap

Beast XJ01

NAXJA Forum User
also known as bungee cords rule!

3 cords, a long, medium, and short one...sorry, didn't measure them. It's a definate "for now" use until I make the mount I want.

But, I ran the long bungee from the rear floor hook to the ceiling child safety seat hook... the short bungee rom the front floor hook to the middle of the long bungee, and the medium bungee from the rear floor hook to the long bungee just above the tire. holds it really well. I have a bottle of windhield washer fluid between the tire and back of the rear seat, and the hatchback hold in in the back.

Pics!

tirestore1.JPG

tirestore2.JPG

Beast

not a bad idea. but i would have probably used the black heavy duty rubber bungee cords. in a decent turn, i could see that tire putting some weight into those little colored bungees and either slipping them off, or fatiguing them.

I highly recommend a couple of bungie cords on outside spare tire carriers. Tailgaters pull up and think the tire is only held on by bungie cords and back off. Did you really need two cords on the front? I think one would have held it fine. ROTFLMAA!

Why not use the stock spare holder on the other side? A new eye bolt is all it takes, and just as cheap. Not to mention a lot safer. Oh and thats a worn down 31.

CIMG6406.jpg

rocketman121 said:
Why not use the stock spare holder on the other side? A new eye bolt is all it takes, and just as cheap. Not to mention a lot safer. Oh and thats a worn down 31.

CIMG6406.jpg

considered that...but I have other things mounted on that wall...you can see the A/C power invertor, eventually I'm gonna have a "cage" on each side over the wheel well humps...and it will bolt to one of them. In the meantime, i got tired of the tire laying down...took up way too much room. like that. this is easier to get to as well, since I don't stack stuff on top.

Beast

Beast XJ01 said:
considered that...but I have other things mounted on that wall...you can see the A/C power invertor, eventually I'm gonna have a "cage" on each side over the wheel well humps...and it will bolt to one of them. In the meantime, i got tired of the tire laying down...took up way too much room. like that. this is easier to get to as well, since I don't stack stuff on top.

Beast

If it's only temporary,then you could have left it in the stock location and just moved the power inverter lower and out of the way of the tire.

Beast XJ01:
Why the new "I" bolt? My tire mount had 2 holes in the flange, and the bolt had a 45 deg. bend in it. moved to the top hole, flipped the bolt, and a 30x9.50 on a stock steel rim dropped right on it.

Krazors001 said:
If it's only temporary,then you could have left it in the stock location and just moved the power inverter lower and out of the way of the tire.

cause the power invertor is in it's final place, as well as the other items, and the compressor for my air springs will be installed shortly. the tirewill eventually be attached to the "cage" on the passenger side, so this temporary position simulates where it will be when I put in the actual bracket for it.

tbburg, your question is actually to Krazors001... I don't know why he needed a new eye bolt.

Beast

Actually to Rocketman121. I use the same materials as my donut and it works fine

Get that mount made. That thing is noting more than a projectile right now. No way I'd wheel with that thing "secured" like that. Don't try to tell me it won't go anywhere; I won't buy it. :bs:

Hale

rocketman121 said:

CIMG6406.jpg
X2, a 31 will fit also if you air it down and it has some wear to it.

Krazors001 said:
Actually to Rocketman121. I use the same materials as my donut and it works fine

I did that too up until recently - using the bolt/nut/washer from my compact spare. Not bad with the 225s, but I found the fitment a bit tight with the 30 (rod was banging into the lug cavity on my alloy rim and scarring it).

So, I went yardhopping to find the "bent" spare tire bolt. Didn't find that, but scored a straight one off a wreck XJ with full-size spare, and that's a LOT better to work with.

I'd wager it's no more than an inch or two longer than the one for the donut, but doggone it, it's sure easier to get the tire in place with the longer one.

I'd bet you could make a longer one yourself with some allthread and a little creativity...

Rob

Haleyes said:
Get that mount made. That thing is noting more than a projectile right now. No way I'd wheel with that thing "secured" like that. Don't try to tell me it won't go anywhere; I won't buy it. :bs:

Hale

Well, it could, but only sideways.... It's stuck pretty good betweeen seat and hatch....and not going over the seat without turning sideways.... but I'm not wheeling..... and it's alot better than laying on it's side as it was.

Should have the mount in about a month (I hope) after the electrical work/upgrades is done.

Thanks for the concern....but mall crawling that thing ain't going anywhere!

Beast

BTW, Is that ia High-Tec tire? Sorry to hi-jack, but my curiousity is getting the better of me.

X2 on the heavier black rubber straps though, i secure everything in the back of mine with those, they grip really well and are tough.

XTurboJ said:
BTW, Is that ia High-Tec tire? Sorry to hi-jack, but my curiousity is getting the better of me.

X2 on the heavier black rubber straps though, i secure everything in the back of mine with those, they grip really well and are tough.

yep, High-Tec it is.

and I only have 1 of the rubber cords, and a surplus of these in all sizes.

Beast XJ01 said:
Well, it could, but only sideways.... It's stuck pretty good betweeen seat and hatch....and not going over the seat without turning sideways.... but I'm not wheeling..... and it's alot better than laying on it's side as it was.

Should have the mount in about a month (I hope) after the electrical work/upgrades is done.

Thanks for the concern....but mall crawling that thing ain't going anywhere!

Beast

65mph and a sudden stop?
You cannot perdict where that thing will go.
Sorry, it's still a projectile. :bs:

Hale

Put the tire on the roof then your interior is much roomier and you are protected from projectiles when you wheel & slam on brakes.

Back