• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear run on the 19th July

David Taylor

NAXJA Member #570
Just a reminder. I will be leading a run up to see the new bridge at deep creek on the 19th. Hollcome creek and John Bull will be on the list if there is time. Your rig should have 3" lift and rock rails. Open diffs will be fine.We will meet in arrowhead at 9:00.
I will post direction later. Dave T

ummmm I guess you'd have to drive minimum of 5 hours or so (depending on road conditions, level of "porkiness" ;) on the freeways, your vehicle and so on)...... FOr a visit to SoCal, you might want to hold of till we figure out an annual event...

Ok, enough of the NorCal thread hijack LOL....

Kejtar

Ketar,Be nice to to the norcal, LOL! You may mess up any chance of me getting a response to my post on the sierra site. LOL. But I shouldnt be suprised, I don't have any books or guides on what's in my back yard either.
David, count me in. I think that I like Deep Creek/ Dishpan springs better than John Bull. It just seems that there are more challanges and they seemed more distributed.
I think that running both in the same day might overload both living brain cells. I'm up to that.

JT, Big Bear is actually a socal version of a lake(man made). The surrounding area's trails are located in the NF of the San Bernardino Mtns. Elev 6500 - 8000 aprox. Depending upon the trail, Packed or loose dirt or rock, John Bull or deep creek are strewn with or in parts(Dish pan springs.) entirely small "boulders".
The area does not compare with many areas further north, but is in own right a "destination". I've always lived 50 minutes away, you know how things get taken for granted.

Ketar, ED , David, anybody. Go ahead and jump in here. Someone could drive down here to see for theirself quicker that I could type even a vague description.

Maybe I will run into you guys, Im leading a big run with Rockcrawler.com that same weekend,.We will be up there for Saturday and Sunday.,Saturday we will be running JohnBull and Sunday on Holcomb Creek. So far we have 12 "For sure going" Jeeps, LandRovers, and I think 1 or 2 full size Blazers.

well... Sequoia has ran everything but John Bull with no rails and he got lucky... he only misshaped the seem on the bottom but rockers are intact.

TBent has been up JOhn Bull twice with no Rails, RyuRabbit once... and both came out with no rocker damage... but.... I saw TBent's rig on compression bounce down to a rock and stop about 1" away from it before going up(it was a jolting slip from a rock).... let's just say that he installed his rails (which he had in his garage) the following weeknd :D

Kejtar

Jump This, I have run deep Creek without them. No damage. I am running a RE 4 1/2" on BFG 10.5x31. :eyes:
This was prior to the newly reseeded rock garden, I can't say for sure myself now.

Keep in mind that I know that the skinny pedal IS NOT a two position switch, So my statement is entirely subjective.

Last edited:
TBent... BFG 31"x9.5???? I Thought that the 31 was 10.5 and the 30" was 9.5" :D

Tbent... there is no rock garden at the moment as they discovered a rock with a hole used to grind seeds in it (possibly an indian artifact) so the rock garden "seeding" got halted....

Kejtar

If you don't care about body damage bring it. If you have a height challenged rig with open diffs you should be ready to take a strap. You must have front and rear tow points. The rock garden will not be done at deep creek so we should make good time. We might even get in gold mountain if we can keep up a good pace.

If there wasn't still a lady grinding pinon nuts in it, what's the hold up.

Kejtar, What's your point?

Direction: Highway 18 up to Arrowhead. The 173 goes into Arrowhead from the 18. Stay on the 18. Aprox .5 mile after the 173 there will be Arrowhead district ranger station on the left. That is wear we will meet at 9:00 am. We will leave at 9:15 sharp.If you are late you will have to find use on the trail. My cell is 760-613-8053. Dave

I'll repost Ed's post to SoCalXJ as it probably will make more sense than my ramblings :)

The newest (and probably not the last) issue with restoring the difficulty in the revised condition of 3N34, east of the T6 crossing of Deep Creek, is one of potential disturbance of archeological artifacts.

During the planned relocation of rocks (to restore the difficulty) one of the rocks was found to have obvious traces of archaeological significance. The rock was observed to contain a pestle (or grain grinding) hole. This is the indention in a rock left after repeated use of the rock for grinding grain for a period of time by ancestral inhabitants of the area. The resident and guest Archeologists halted the restoration of difficulty to the trail, in the area of the creek crossing, to honor State and Federal Law.

The USFS has to follow state and Federal guidelines (actually Laws) with respect to possible disturbance of archaeological sites, and just like when a large construction project is halted when artifacts are found, the restoration of the difficult rocks at T6 was halted. The penalty to continue the work could result in felony criminal and expensive civil action against all involved (once the potential for disturbance was known). This exposure to the penalty of criminal and civil law applies to civilians as well (so don't go out and plan to relocate rocks around Deep Creek). This risk of disturbance exists almost everywhere in the SBNF, highlighting the importance of keeping the existing roads/trail open (because every new or relocated trail action faces this same risk of disturbance).

The Riverside Rough Riders have performed trail maintenance on 3N34, and plan more through the summer, although additional activity at the T6 crossing has been halted to respect the law. Drive past the T6 crossing, east on 3N34, and the option to take an easy or difficult line on the trail should be restored before the end of summer (and forget about radical rocks immediately past T6 unless you want to invite felony persecution).

I have drive many two wheel drive trucks past the old T6 crossing, both before concrete hardening of the bottom and after the past concrete work (that made it easier than the original loose rock). The current bridge is a freeway, and we have to live with it (better than a larger bridge or closure, the other requested alternatives).

The resulting construction preserves dirt OHV access to the rest of the forest. This is the only currently open east to west OHV legal road/trail in the SBNF that links the Arrowhead and Big Bear areas. The risk of more radical restoration of difficulty is closure of this critical road/trail.

If you want to get activist about SBNF trails, and want to have a huge impact on improving the East to west OHV opportunity, then get your printers hammering out letters to the USFS that you want to see Coxey Creek Road restored to OHV legal 4x4 travel. This is the OHV road/trail that used to link the Coxey Meadows below White Mountain with the Devils Hole area of Deep Creek. It was a Black Diamond 4x4 trail before a wildfire closed the road over twelve years ago, and then it was opened as a M/C-ATV-only trail until about six years ago, when pressure from the Sierra Club and the Center for Biological Diversity forced it's complete closure to vehicles. Coxey Creek Road was the historical northern, east to west, dirt road/trail link between Arrowhead and Big Bear.

Sign up now, to make significant comments and complaint, and turn some of this idle bitching into productive progress for your favored choice of recreation. Gets some free maps of your forests, and get educated on the issues shaping the future of recreation in the four SoCal Forests.

Southern California Forest Plans Revision - Welcome!

Turn that keyboard frustration into some constructive support for the future of wheeling in the SBNF. Learn something, and represent yourself.

Happy Trails!
Ed A. Stevens
[email protected]

Okay boys...maybe I can get the rails done this weekend. They closed the metal supply nearest me....70mi. away. I have a neighbor who is a hard core XJ guy (belongs to So Cal XJ club) He might have some metal hanging around that would do the trick. I hope to make it....I don't think I would drag the run out by being a total rookie. But..... let me know if a newbie would be okay. I am no stranger to off-roading just kinda new to the Jeep thing.
Rick

You know I don't even know his last name. First is Tommy built like a tank. Owns a tree service company.....runs about 8 plus inches of lift with some swampers....moved out here about six months ago......gray XJ......

Does Tommy run lic. plates: "XJ MAN"?

I've got a friend coming in town that day, and she'll probably get here around 10am, so I'll be too late to run Deep Creek with you guys. If you run Gold Mountain and John Bull afterwards, I can give you guys my cell phone number and have somebody call me when you're headed for Gold Mountain and I can meet you there.

-Mike

Back