• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Fuel Issue

duh!!!

NAXJA Forum User
To start, this is strictly a trail rig.
I relocated the fuel tank inside the rear hatch for clearance (I've destroyed two tanks in my 91.) I was hoping to use my old fuel cell. But alas, this system has the regulator built into the pump and has no return line from the fuel rail. I ran it several time through the summer without issue. However, Labor Day weekend was a different story. More than once, it would just die while idling. Especially if things were a little hot from really working the engine. Crank and crank, no-go. Wait 20-30 minutes and it'll fire right up. From what I've read, the regulator/check valve can be an issue in the OEM fuel system. But, is it the fuel? I tried bleeding the fuel rail at the pressure port and got some air (thinking it was vapor locked.) But, it refused to fire. No, I didn't check for spark...as I was slightly irritated. Thoughts on this?
Back to the fuel cell. I'm seriously considering revamping the fuel system. Use the fuel cell with an external pump (which will provide over 49 psi) and a bypass regulator. Anybody ever done something like this? Should I put the regulator at the tank? If I do, that doesn't help the heat soak that tends to plague this generation of injection. Or, should I remove the Schrader valve on the fuel rail (pressure gauge port) and utilize that port for a bypass regulator with a return line to the tank?
I'm open to ideas, so bring it on!

Talyn: Fuel pressure was 48 psi when I finally got it back to camp.

NorldaWheeler: Thanks for that great bit of info! That sure beats buying an adjustable, external regulator.

C85D4X4: Honestly...I didn't give ANY thought to the CPS or distributor electronics. I'll check the codes and see if there's any info there.

Question for you, NorldaWheeler: I searched that fuel filter/regulator. Some are $35-50. Some are $90-125, but say regulator in the description. I would think they all should have the internal regulator, correct? $65 for the regulator and the appropriate connectors is a great price.

CPS.

Same thing happened to me. Replace the crank positioning sensor.

:rolleyes:
Hello there, I have the exact same problem with my 97 Xj, when it gets a bit hot or in a hot day after some driving in idle it will shut off and have to wait 20 to 30 min to start again, what does the CPS sensor have to do with these problem, at first I assumed it was a full problem, and how my fuell pump was about to fail I replaced it, didn’t have the problem for some time, but now about 3 year after I had the same problem in a couple of times.

Question for you, NorldaWheeler: I searched that fuel filter/regulator. Some are $35-50. Some are $90-125, but say regulator in the description. I would think they all should have the internal regulator, correct? $65 for the regulator and the appropriate connectors is a great price.

I have always just bought the cheapest one I could find and they all havee been the regulator style. As long as it has three hose nipples on it then it is a regulator. Buy the one from Speedway and you should be good!

:rolleyes:
Hello there, I have the exact same problem with my 97 Xj, when it gets a bit hot or in a hot day after some driving in idle it will shut off and have to wait 20 to 30 min to start again, what does the CPS sensor have to do with these problem, at first I assumed it was a full problem, and how my fuell pump was about to fail I replaced it, didn’t have the problem for some time, but now about 3 year after I had the same problem in a couple of times.

With too much heat, its a common problem that an Old CPS can stop working. It never set off a code for me.

if you wanted to run your 'return' system and your fuel cell, get a fuel rail from a 91-95. it would bolt in, uses a regulator on the front of the fuel rail (and you can get them at many pressures), you just have to add a return line to the system.

Regulators you can run in it for whatever pressure you want:

Standard Motor Products Part #'s

PR210 39 psi (stock)
PR211 50 psi
PR209 55 psi
PR321 58 psi

if you wanted to run your 'return' system and your fuel cell, get a fuel rail from a 91-95. it would bolt in, uses a regulator on the front of the fuel rail (and you can get them at many pressures), you just have to add a return line to the system.

Regulators you can run in it for whatever pressure you want:

Standard Motor Products Part #'s

PR210 39 psi (stock)
PR211 50 psi
PR209 55 psi
PR321 58 psi

Well if that isn't my bad luck. I tossed my 91 fuel rail and intake a few months back! :flamemad:

The regulators that you listed all fit the 91-95 fuel rail? If so, I'm thinking that's the way to go. The Corvette filter/regulator is a great idea. But, I'm thinking the return line will reduce heat soak and return air pockets that might enter the system when off angle with a low fuel level.

My daughter replaced the CPS tonight. I'm hoping that will resolve my immediate issue of it just stalling for no reason.

Thanks for all of your feedback on this. I'll be sure to report back after this weekend's Toys 4 Tots run on the trails.

Ive heard another common problem is that the fuel vaporizes in the fuel rail when the temps are a lil high. I also live in AZ and have had this problem, it gets a few minutes to cool down and then itll start back up and run fine.

try getting some shielding for the fuel rail. works fine in LHC, and its the cheaper fix.

Well, the CPS seemed to resolve the problem. Thanks for all of your input. Now...to find a fuel rail out of a 91-95 so I can easily put my fuel cell in!!

Back