• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light

Irishguy84

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,
I am a new member here and I just got a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport that my father gave to me. I am a new Jeep owner but I have owner toyota's for years and worked on them. My problem is as follows. The Jeep has not run for over two years. I was able to trace the problem to a bad crank shaft position sensor and replaced that today. The battery was also dead. Once I charged that battery and had the new sensor installed, I got the Jeep to run, however the check engine light is on. My OBD2 reader is at my place and not my father's so I can't pull a code. Do you have any advice on what I should check to clear the check engine light? I changed the plugs and all the fluids, but I need it to pass SMOG and it won't with a check engine light on. I plan on changing the plug wires, cap, and rotor. Is there anything else I should be worried about? Sorry about the newbee question in advance. Also is there a XJ group in Northern California that I could join? Thanks in advance for any help you guys could provide.
Thanks again,
Logan

Go to a local parts store and have it scanned. Throwing parts at it in an attempt to clear a unknown code is silly.

Yup. It's now legal for parts stores to do this again. They must of out lobbied the repair shops this time around.

Can't the 1999 Cherokee do the CEL key trick later jeeps do?

On to start (without starting the jeep) three times in a certain number of seconds leaving it on the third time,, or something like this.

A code reader might be easier as I've never got this trick to work in our commander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The clear the codes I believe you'll need a code reader.

Spark plugs you don't have to go wild on, don't really need platinum or split fire. I think champion or NGK are recommended by the experts.

I've used all types of plugs without any issues. Wires, Cap and rotor I've used whatever's decent quality, the most expensive " performance" I've never found to be worth it.

Yup. It's now legal for parts stores to do this again. They must of out lobbied the repair shops this time around.

I wasn't aware it was illegal? Just in California?

I can see some consumer protection idiot thinking the parts stores were "predatory" selling parts people don't need but restricting this to shops who actually are predatory is insane.

There's is right to repair movement I hope gains momentum.

OBD-II trouble code scanners cost as little as $20, I carry a simple code scanner in both of my Cherokees. The actual 4 digit OBD-II trouble codes are more specific and more useful than the two digit blinking light codes. At some point about mid 1999 and beyond, the key trick no longer works.

Basic Champion Copper plugs or basic NGK plugs work best.

Can't the 1999 Cherokee do the CEL key trick later jeeps do?

On to start (without starting the jeep) three times in a certain number of seconds leaving it on the third time,, or something like this.

A code reader might be easier as I've never got this trick to work in our commander.

The key trick was for the OBD-1 years, 1991-1996. Doesn't work for 97+, as far as I know.

Definitely get a cheap code scanner.

The key trick was for the OBD-1 years, 1991-1996. Doesn't work for 97+, as far as I know.

Definitely get a cheap code scanner.

97 was the cross over year for the key-clicky trick. Early built 97s, it worked, the later built 97s didn't. Just hit an miss.

Definitely the 98s and newer require and OBDII reader.

The code reader for your toyotas should work as long as it is OBDII compatible. As long as it's relatively new it should scan 90% of the 96 and newer cars on the road. If it is an older 'single protocol' tool, you will probably need to upgrade.

Ok good to know the key code trick doesn't work in later cherokees.

2002 ( ?) up jeep do have a key code reader trick but I've can't get it to work on our commander others have no trouble with theirs

Thanks for all the help. I will by a code reader and check what codes are thrown.

If you've got an android phone, a $10-$20 bluetooth OBDII scan tool (take your pick on Amazon) and $5 for Torque Pro in the google play/app store is the way to go. All the functionality of a similarly-priced cheapo scanner, but with tons more options, logging, custom dashboard setups etc. My XJ is pre-OBD but I use one all the time in my BMW E46 and when troubleshooting friends' cars.

I'm not sure how it works on iOS; my understanding is that there's similar apps but they don't function as well.

I wasn't aware it was illegal? Just in California?

I can see some consumer protection idiot thinking the parts stores were "predatory" selling parts people don't need but restricting this to shops who actually are predatory is insane.

There's is right to repair movement I hope gains momentum.

Definitely a California thing. I hadn't thought of the predation / consumer protection angle, always assumed it was a lobbying effort by the repair shops.
Parts stores had always offered code readers along with the rest of their loaner tools. Then one day, poof, "sorry we can't offer them anymore". Now it's back to the way it was initially.
Unfortunately I haven't ran across a store that offers one that will pull ABS codes. But that's a whole nother kettle of GM fish.

Back