• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Top ball joint replacement help

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys so I’ve been tackling my ball joints today, and they were a pain in the ass to remove and so far have been a nightmare to reinstall. I was able to put the bottom in with no issues, I cannot figure out a way to get the angle correct to reinstall the top one. My problem is arising at the bottom of the top ear. The bottom isn’t flat so when I start tightening the press that one kicks out at a stupid angle and the joint starts going in at a dumb angle. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to stop this? 1995 XJ Dana 30

I have a piece of 1/4" plate with a groove notched into it that's the same radius as the ball joint. I stick the plate between the knuckle and the cup and it helps it press evenly. I know they make the right cups for the job but I'm a cheap SOB and it works.

Last edited:
You need the OTC installer cup set # 7894 for this job to go smoothly and to minimize
backyard expletives. If you try to mash the ball joints into place without aligning them
perfectly straight you will risk wallowing or distorting the ball joint holes (oval) - and
then you'll be in a heep of trouble.

Instead of using the correct installer cups, some folks will use shims (washers)
to get the ball joint angle correct. This requires a bit of finesse because the
washers will sometimes drift and fall out as you tighten the ball joint press.

I’m going to try your method in the morning Rob. I bought some 1/4 inch flat stock for this project. Thanks for everyone’s posts. I know I should use the proper tool, but I need this done tomorrow and I cannot wait for the parts to come in.

Okay so I was able to press the upper ball joint in straight and it went in with no real issues, but now that I’m trying to reinstall the spindle the entire ball joint shaft is spinning as I turn the castle but. Is the ball joint toast? I used the proper sleeve and that part of the ball joint wasn’t touching anything.

Make sure the threads on the ball joint and the castle nut are clean. Maybe try putting a little pressure on the knuckle from the bottom with a jack, might be enough to keep the shaft from spinning

A couple weeks ago I had the knuckle turned to the stop (in the direction it wants to turn when you tighten the nut) and used a pry bar between the axle and knuckle. Did not take much pressure to hold the joint from spinning and once started you don't need pry bar any longer.

Just did an upper Ball joint in my DD XJ today. Bottom spun also when tightening the castle. Put a jackstand under the knuckle and slowly lower the weight of the jeep down on it, then tighten the castle.

I was able to use hardened washers as a leveling insert for the uppers. Take your time as you start to press them in and start over if you don’t have it right.

Also, if you have to take them out be careful not to mushroom the bottom of the stud where the castle nut screws on. Easy to do when removing if you don’t have enough clearance as you press it out. Same thing on bottom.

In my case this is why my stud was spinning and the castle nut wasn’t tightening...I had fouled the threads.

Back