• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedo not working

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
I recently did a 4wd swap on a 2001 xj. 4.0 aw4,np231. In doing so I needed to extend the speedo sensor plug that plugs into the transfer case. So I went to the junkyard and got a plug, cut the wires back far enough so I’d only have to make one splice. Spliced the correct wires to each other. I soldered them and used heat shrink tube, and now in not getting anything on the speedometer. The check engine light came on saying no speedometer reading. So I cleared the code thinking that might do something and still no luck. I cut the wires, stripped them and reinstalled using wire nuts temporarily just to see if that might change something and still no luck. Any ideas? The speedo gear housing is installed in the right position. Thanks.

The speedo gear housing may be installed right, but did you actually clock the speedo gear, ie install it so that the speedo gear makes contact with the TCase drive gear?

Do a search...there are a lot of posts on how to clock your speedo gear...

the speedo gear housing has two spots the hold down will lock into. i once reisnstallled mine 90 degrees out, same code. pull your speedo drive gear assembly out and try rotating it 90 degrees.

Back