• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep parts interchangeability by model and year

PavementPrincess

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 2001 jeep xj limited. I've been shopping around for new and used parts for my build. If I buy everything new parts bolt up no issues obviously. My question is I see a lot of stuff used but I'm not sure of fitment. Mainly with xj I've seen entire rigs with all the parts I need cheaper than a low end lift. I know for he most part axles are swap friendly with xj but I don't know years based on u joints and the different ways to engage 4x4. Also the np231j, are all years universal? I remember hearing different spine count on ther years? Any help would be great.

You should probably start by posting up more details about the XJ you now have. 4.0L? AW-4 or NV3500? NP231 or NP242? ABS yes or no?

Then you could post up an example of what you are looking at swapping and folks will be able to help you details.

You should also let us know your objectives. For an example, assuming your current XJ is 4wd you probably have a low pinion Dana 30. Most of the earlier XJs came with high pinion Dana 30s. This may or may not be an issue depending on how much lift you intend to run.

I am not aware of a blanket run down of differences over the years, but if it does exist I can assure you there will be a lot of time spent sifting through it in order to find the information you want. But if you ask specific, focused questions then answers will probably be readily forthcoming.

It's a 2001 xj limited 4.0 with aw4 trans and 231 t case. Still has low pinion 30 in the front and 35 in the back. I've already started swapping the 8.25 in and it does not have abs. Looking to run around a 33 inch tire and most likely a 4.5 inch long arm kit. I'd like to run a high pinion 30 based on the claim of it being stronger and to have better driveline angles. I just want to know as far a drivetrain and suspension what's bolt in. If I can find an older Cherokee that's got a blown motor and swap everything to mine it will definitely be cheaper. As far as what I plan to do with it mostly trails in the Pacific Northwest. I'm not planning on tons and an ls swap I don't have the money or need for that right now.

For the Dana 30 you are probably looking for a '96+ in order to be certain of getting the better U-joints.

A quick summary of what changed year by year, ABS vs non-ABS is here:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=951814

Or you may find something that has been upgraded already.

If you find a deal on something that already has a long arm lift then post up what it is and we can compare notes with what you have. Odds are in your favor that things will transfer gracefully. I think the biggest variable is likely to be transmission mounts, and the AW4 is the transmission you are most likely to encounter.

No abs light on startup and couldn't find any abs stuff under the hood. I haven't looked underneath yet. But I'm pretty sure. Unless there is something I'm not seeing. But yes 2001 with a 35 would be wierd

2001 no ABS and you have a dana 35 in the rear? -- I don't think that was very common

I've never seen nor heard of one!

Are you sure it's a D35

Last edited:
Positive it's a 35. I checked the build sheet and doesn't mention abs. I checked the fuse box for solenoid and light fuse and nothing. Not sure what I'm looking for near the master or booster. Didn't notice any extra stuff on the front or rear axles. Looked for a tone ring and wires as indicated but couldn't see anything.Build sheet says Dana 35 and it's not a 8.25. soooo. I'll post pics but I'm the world dumbest millennial do I have to figure out how

Here's some pics maybe you can tell me.
4b18af8661b1a2880dfb989e8ad6b7ee.jpg
2cc45ad162f724460f9a59ef0ec35971.jpg
6566b80b62cffdd318e5c57ef714b31a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your help guys, I've owned 3 jeep wranglers, and 5 cherokees but I've always done real mild stuff to them. Small lifts and tires and just kept them reliable and explored. I'd like to put more time into this one and get it how I want it without going bankrupt lol. Trust me I'd luv to just max my credit card and have it done but I learn a lot more this way.

It looks like it is exactly what you say it is.

That is an odd duck. I wonder if there are some other details that go along with this combination, or if the factory was just short on 8.25" rears that day.

I've got an 01 with a D35, for what it's worth. Blown the carrier apart twice now, once stock and under warranty, once lifted. Note that you will probably have the pre cats on the headers and thus two more O2 sensors which means a different computer and some of your other sensors and wiring may be relocated to accommodate that, ie the crankshaft sensor connector is under the car, not on the engine block. Sorry about the D35, that sucks

Thats a 35 under there -- I wonder if chrysler had some old stock they wanted to get rid of -- Would be interesting if you 2 guys posted your build dates

Back to the original question -- I have a 2000 I'm putting together -- I did what you are suggesting a few weeks ago -- Bought a 97 for a few parts -- Mainly cruise control components and the dana 30 HP front axle

Not everything is compatible, I still need 2000 cruise control switches as the 97 switches are different and won't communicate with the 2000 PCM

The axle should be fine, but I want to build it anyway so I'm not just doing a straight swap

I also have a mostly complete engine, some stuff is the same, some not

Beauty is, I sold a few parts off the 97 and I'm in this XJ for under $150 -- will still sell whatever I can for really fair pricing then scrap it -- should be able to come out a little bit ahead

I say buy one if you can find one -- I'm in NJ, easier to find a rotted, rust bucket than it is to find a blown motor XJ

Positive it's a 35. I checked the build sheet and doesn't mention abs. I checked the fuse box for solenoid and light fuse and nothing. Not sure what I'm looking for near the master or booster. Didn't notice any extra stuff on the front or rear axles. Looked for a tone ring and wires as indicated but couldn't see anything.Build sheet says Dana 35 and it's not a 8.25. soooo. I'll post pics but I'm the world dumbest millennial do I have to figure out how

What's the "line item number" for that axle?

Mine is a '01 with no abs and a d35... made me real real nervous hauling the u-haul trailer that weighed more than the jeep up from VA to ME especially through the hills in PA.
a1d2de1d3643cb9fa0179f6278f6dfb0.jpg
041f1e59299da121c266038b085ce742.jpg
6e5b45051e9e385630a8ba602dca5086.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mine is a '01 with no abs and a d35... made me real real nervous hauling the u-haul trailer that weighed more than the jeep up from VA to ME especially through the hills in PA
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Your quicki-BS report reads really strange!

I could post the sheet if you guys are interested.

Do you have the actual "build sheet" that came with it from the factory, or the more "generalized" one that you can get on line?

Back