NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 29th, 2017, 06:44
Only Slightly Psychotic

Re: Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Mesa XJ View Post
I wasn't aware it was illegal? Just in California?

I can see some consumer protection idiot thinking the parts stores were "predatory" selling parts people don't need but restricting this to shops who actually are predatory is insane.

There's is right to repair movement I hope gains momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely a California thing. I hadn't thought of the predation / consumer protection angle, always assumed it was a lobbying effort by the repair shops.
Parts stores had always offered code readers along with the rest of their loaner tools. Then one day, poof, "sorry we can't offer them anymore". Now it's back to the way it was initially.
Unfortunately I haven't ran across a store that offers one that will pull ABS codes. But that's a whole nother kettle of GM fish.
'87 MJ 4.0 AW4 231 D-44 Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter VP