NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 15th, 2019, 07:45
NAXJA Member

Re: tires

yup. time to replace. I'm in the same boat as mine are about 10 years old and weather checked. fortunately, I tore them up pretty good last time out in the rocks.

check out the Goodyear Duratrac. IIRC it replaced the wrangler. Edit: Kevlars as mentioned....

yes, MTs work very well in rocks when aired down and kickass in mud. I'll be going with MT's on mine.

what's your mix of trail vs road? that would be a big factor for making a decision on MT or AT. BFG KO2 looks like would do well, but no experience with them offroad. They do wear very well and seem aggressive enough.

Last edited by denverd1; May 15th, 2019 at 07:56.
Old May 15th, 2019, 08:21
NAXJA Forum User

Well I do a good deal of highway to get to off road places, then usually do several days of offroad. My old MT wanglers did well enough for me on the highway so I will stick with MT tires.

I am really leaning towards the Wrangler MT with Kevlar as they advertise 33% more puncture strength on side wall with Kevlar.

My concern is will the stronger sidewalls negatively effect tire conforming to terrain when aired down.

How does this Goodyear Wrangler MT with Kevlar perform off road in regards to aired down footprint say for rock crawling over desert dry waterfalls of rocks?
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:55
NAXJA Forum User

You will just need to make sure you air down, about 10psi.
Old May 15th, 2019, 16:28
NAXJA Forum User

My Big Tire Purchase

As in other post, my tires are really old, Goodyear Wranglers, circa 2002, I just bought this lifted xj arb locker, Atlas II, etc... 33x 12.5x15 tires. I want to stick with M/T tires. Jeep is for trips only. Sure sometimes lots of highway, but then 100s of miles offroad, Rocks in Death Valley, sand, forest mud, etc...

So here are some choices...

https://www.americastire.com/fitment...ice-asc&page=1

I am thinking of maybe the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar, but others on the list I wonder about. Th e Goodyear stands out to me as good for the puncture resistant kevlar sidewalls. the tread is kind of different, like half is more tighter treads, half more mud clearing wide treads. Is this a compromise of offroad ability to gain street handling? how are these offroad compaired to say a simular price BFG MudTarrain T/A KM3, with its more usually tread pattern? both the Goodyear and BFG weigh the same, but the BFg only has 18 mm tread depth, the Goodyear 21 mm. the BFG has higher max inflation of 45 psi verses 36 for the Goodyear.

Are the rubber compounds simular as far as sticking to rocks for rock crawling? Rubicon type stuff?

I am new to this, my first offroad tire purchase, for what I want, good offroad ability, with more emphasis on rock crawlability than muddy swamps, although that maybe in the mix sooner rather than later. it is not a daily driver, but It needs to handle safely on the interstate at least in the slow lane, I am not a lead foot on the highway. Hope to do Rubicon on these tires

What are opinions on the linked and discussed tires? insights on pros and cons of certain brands, any to avoid?

thanks.
Old May 15th, 2019, 16:41
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Re: My Big Tire Purchase

Falken Wildpeak MT.

It's the best DOT MT right now.
Old May 15th, 2019, 16:42
NAXJA Warranty Voider

And is really your third thread on the subject in as many days?

This isn't Facebook. We can keep using one here.
Old May 15th, 2019, 19:11
NAXJA Member

My next tire is gonna be the general X3 — fairly new pattern but I have multiple sets on different vehicles of the general at2 and a set of atx on a jku — the x3 should be a little more aggressive but supposed to keep decent on pavement manners
Old May 15th, 2019, 22:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
And is really your third thread on the subject in as many days?

This isn't Facebook. We can keep using one here.
Old May 16th, 2019, 07:08
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I merged all three threads as general housekeeping.
Old May 17th, 2019, 10:04
NAXJA Member #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1990jeep View Post
good offroad ability, with more emphasis on rock crawlability than muddy swamps, although that maybe in the mix sooner rather than later. it is not a daily driver, but It needs to handle safely on the interstate at least in the slow lane, I am not a lead foot on the highway. Hope to do Rubicon on these tires
Except for wanting to get into more mud, you just described exactly how I use my Jeep, and I'm running the MT/R Kevlars and happy with them.

I've got 31x10.50s and drop to 15-16psi for off-road, and they flex and conform fine for me.

Rob
Old May 19th, 2019, 09:08
NAXJA Member

You can determine the age of your tire by looking at the DOT on the sidewall. Last 3 digits . First 2 tell you what week they were made and last digit tells you year. So 152 would be 15th week of 2012 or 2002.
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:53
Jeepoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Falken Wildpeak MT.

It's the best DOT MT right now.
I'm running the AT's on the WJ. Haven't been able to drive on them just yet, but for the price I dig them .

Mods; 3" IRO lift, ADDCO rear sway bar, 4.7HO with bored fastman TB, AFE intake and Superchip tuner, 32s, lunchbox rear 242HD, 3" Kolak exhaust