• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question on solution for obscure part :'95 Country

XJeffery

NAXJA Forum User
howdy, folks

So, this is something I have searched ( I know how;) )for with some amount of effort for past week.
It will seem silly to the harder-core guys.
It definitely falls under OEM Tech;
Since I have failed I know decide to reach out for some expert opinions on what you guys have done about this.

My 1995 upcountry XJ- wife's DD - has just recently had this strangely-named seal split lengthwise from age.
I have some gorilla tape on the dry-rotted strip but it is not working to effectively prevent water and road debris from getting in.

What have you guys done when you replaced or substituted something in the place of what the FSM refers to as the " Door-to-Rocker Panel Seal" strip that from the factory came riveted to the front doors lowest edge to keep water from entering and causing rust to the rocker panels? Here is a screenshot with the part i reference indicated by the red arrow.
Cd1dmaM.png

Some of you know that I try to maintain the body as OEM as possible while we approach 400,000 "me miles" & I cannot locate this part at any of the usual places ( omix-Ada, Rock Auto, QTec, 4wp, Summit, no place) ; I have no real junkyard or pull apart access. Anyway, I want new ones for both front doors.

Any help? I am not averse to using something else if these simply are unobtainable. I have hardly any rust and fight it constantly and am losing sleep over these stupid "door-to-rocker-seal" things.

I sure appreciate any advise.

Jeep On!

I don't think you are going to have much luck. But if you do please PM me with the details. Roaming through my Part Catalog, my Jeep is an '00, I came across similar pieces. There is not even a part number, just an illustration of it, in the catalog with the words Seal Door Not Required. I actually found the part numbers by researching it but nobody as them. Thinking if yours could be found I could make them work. At the moment I am thinking of putting some "D" Shaped rubber backed with 3M tape under there. What I have is very similar to the rubber between the cowl and the hood.

I would just remove them and call it good enough. Later model years or the Cherokee never had those things at all.

Try Morris 4x4. I would do some looking in the parts books and coming up with a part number, then google it. You might be surprised how much new old stock is still around.

thanks @old_man ( as well as you other respondents) ;
yeah, I meant to include or insinuate I had exhausted ALL ( here mentioning non-boastfully I have owned 6 or 7 & currently have three Jeeps , not bein' a smarmy a-hole or anything;
supporting them all myself, I have all the de facto parts places nailed down.
Morris was a first 5 search list inclusion& if THEY don't have the things...:dunno:)
so, Ii was hoping someone creative might have come-up with something since it is seemingly impossible to locate these.
@Tim_MN , I tried but my ocd plus having noticed a first indication that this might be needed bit of oxidation on the place where the split one (pssgr side) is/was makes me wanna replace. All these threads with replaced or rebuilt rocker panels and having such corrosion might be helped along because these things go missing. I am just a little OCD with the XJ. me=:looser:

well, I am gonna try to get the part number off the Chrysler mopar replacement parts sites and maybe I can locate the "door-to-rocker-panel" freakin' seal. Maybe, as mentioned, I can find the # and googles it and locate.
I am gonna go make my child - who broke the original one with her big clodhopper feet- feel guilty some more.:smsoap:

til then, anyone that has used something to at least perform the same function as the strip wants to chime in, feel free. :star:
<edit: will-do,@Ralph77 . If i locate I will post here. I admit your response made my heart sink just a little, heh. >

IDK how salt the DOT uses to melt snow in Nashville, but in Minneapolis they use about 20,000 tons per year. My doors are just fine, the rockers are what get rusty, and the rust starts on the inside.

I wish you good luck in your search.

I think I have some , are yours the metal ones or the rubber ? Pretty sure you have the rubber ones ...

Yep, they were pliable,rubber at one time but now they're more of a plastic ( not unlike hotwheel track plastic except age brittled). Thanks for part #s ,Ralph! I'll check 'em out

Strokermjcomanche, PM me if ya think they're the ones I am after. Highly obliged , guys:spin1:

IDK how salt the DOT uses to melt snow in Nashville, but in Minneapolis they use about 20,000 tons per year. My doors are just fine, the rockers are what get rusty, and the rust starts on the inside.

I wish you good luck in your search.

Oh, they use crap loads of the blue nasty salt / chemical mix here in Nashville and dump all winter supply upon it seems random streets when one snowflake falls . I literally coat all jeep undersides with FluidFilm each October and have escaped until this seal broke . Ralph I think these things missing might be when inside door where rocker seals along lower door edge is why rockers and that area get corroded ...that salt gets up in there without these strips or something there to prevent it splashing up and in.

The seals were more likely for control of wind noise. New vehicle owners don't complain about rust through, even though Jeeps do like to rust. I have noticed that since the rockers on my 1999 have returned to the basic elements of nature, that even with a slight hearing loss, my very rusty 99 has much louder road/wind noise than my not at all rusty 2000.

Oh, they use crap loads of the blue nasty salt / chemical mix here in Nashville and dump all winter supply upon it seems random streets when one snowflake falls . I literally coat all jeep undersides with FluidFilm each October and have escaped until this seal broke . Ralph I think these things missing might be when inside door where rocker seals along lower door edge is why rockers and that area get corroded ...that salt gets up in there without these strips or something there to prevent it splashing up and in.

Same where I live. I Fluid Film every October too. Have for the last 3 years. Very impressed with the stuff. I want them for the same reasons. My doors don't line up with my rockers as nice as I would like. Not sure why. Thinking these would keep crap from getting up in there and maybe cut down on any wind noise that might be coming up through there. No joy in finding them. Never seen one up close and personal so I have no idea how they look, attach, etc. Your picture gave me some info. Like I said thinking of throwing in that rubber molding I mentioned and see what happens.

Ralph77
see the black strip along the lower edge of the door? that is the seal in question , as it appears when on the vehicle.
Lnv1esb.jpg

I may have found a source & once I confirm, I will post here for sure. You guys helped me out. Big props to you Ralph for the part number if this works-out. I am waitin on an email ...

Please do.

It is amazing how much sand and mud I can collect on my door sills. I would be interested in cutting that down a bit.

well, I suppose misery loves company so, fully anticipating the beatdown I am fixin to get :gee: for publicly admitting what I just paid for these things, I will let ya know that the cost for them from Davey's Jeeps :

http://www.daveysjeeps.com

( you email or call them with the part number of the thing you want. They freaking have EVERYTHING for EVERY JEEP model, I kid you not. They've been around a good while but I had not used them till this; I recalled John at CRAWL reminded me in an article he recently wrote about gettin something from the place)

Now,the COST itself is not surprising and I thought, "wow that is a little up-there but I will pay it to have it replaced.." but then, once I agreed to it I got a 2nd email that informed me the shipping was $22.00. The seals for the front are $25 bucks ( I presume for both the way the conversation went) but added together we are lookin at almost $50 bucks for the things. And, Davey's Jeeps if you do not know is , like, 2 acres of Ohio that is just crammed full of used and parts off Jeeps of all types, so these are not new.

Yeah, it is highway robbery-ish but if these things beoing missing are what can cause rusted-out or noisy front doors , I suppose I can make myself feel better knowing I am getting them replaced. If my wife and kids weren't riding in it I would probably just slap some kinda preventative coverage paint on them but ....it's our baby. I am sick, aren't I?
d*mned Jeeps.
I will post pix once I get them and the install.

Last edited:
Yeah that is kinda of highway robbery-ish but I get it. You want what you want. If you could post some better pictures. It looks like a rubber rectangle. Maybe 1" high, 2" in depth, and running the length of the door. If that is the case there has got to be something out there that can be modded to achieve the same result. 3M double sided tape and good to go? My part numbers for the '00 are different.

Front
55175355AD

Back
55235412AB

At least I think these are the part numbers. By the way. Go here:

https://xjjeeps.com/

Download every XJ parts catalog there. You have no idea how much having all the years, even though I only own a '00, helps with stuff like this. Also gives you an idea of what years parts will fit other years so when you are doing some boneyard or Craigslist hunting you will have a better idea of what your options are. Another thing I find useful is:

https://www.napaonline.com/

Helps with some things too. Look up the part you are trying to research. Let's use an alt.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RSE2138640?searchCategory=11.2&searchIndex=App

So click on the words Buyer's Guide. It will show you every application that the alt is used in. Anyway keep us posted. I would really like to do something down there.

I live 15 minutes away from daveys , I could have paid for them and shipped them to you .Ive bought a lot of stuff from him over the years

how many ways could you have $aved me moolah?!
I am adding you to Friends list , dude.
I wish I had known all of your geolocation and basement contents prior to ordering!:eek:

Back