• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual to auto swap, manual control, what´s needed

luischia

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all

I'm analyzing to swap my BA10 to an AW4 on my XJ.
Basically, my current transmission is grinding awfully, it goes into every gear correctly but does sound like the ball bearings are ready to take a dump!!!.
Also it is leaking oil badly, which also does not contribute to the bearing wearing out.

My first intention will be to get a good Aisin manual Tranny, but I have looked all around my country for the past months and only have seen one or two at outrageous prices, more that $1000 US, which is way too much.

On the contrary, I have seen many AW4 ready to be sold for cheap, around 200 or 300 US$ the most, which got me thinking on swapping to an automatic tranny, while I get around to a good manual one, or get used to the automatic.

If I go the AW4 way, I will want to get the manual control mod, as I will not be getting the TCM and all the wiring involved, just the auto stick to switch between P R N D, and then a switch arrange to move between 1 2 3 4 and TC lockout, so this is my question:

What exactly do I need to get if I'm not using the electronics involved on the normally operated AW4:

Here's my list of parts, required and not required:
Flywheel Required
TC Required
AW4 Tranny/transfer Required
NSS Not Required
TCM Not Required
Tranny Cooliing Lines and Rad Required (already have the Rad for an auto)
Auto stick assembly Required
Kick down cable Unsure if Required or not

what else comes to your mind?

By the way, it is an 89 Renix, that currently is running only LPG as fuel, got rid of all Renix electronics and just using a HEI Distributor with the LPG system.
AW4 year does not matter I think as there will be no OEM electronics either in the engine or Transmission management.

thanks a lot for your help in advance!

Back