• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Cherokee idle overheat.

jeepsport90

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 88 jeep cherokee 4x4 auto trans with a 4.0 and I have cooling issuse only at idle. I was wondering if anyone has the theory and opperation of the cooling system? I have replaced the thermostsat, mechanical fan clutch, coolant, and radiator resivoir.

Air bubbles in the line?
Burp the system
Buy a new cap, check for cracks and tighten that baby tight. You should see nor hear no boiling in the tank at all.
I changed my cap and its great now.
I went thhrough the same thing a few months ago on my 88 same setup.

Air bubbles in the line?
Burp the system
Buy a new cap, check for cracks and tighten that baby tight. You should see nor hear no boiling in the tank at all.
I changed my cap and its great now.
I went thhrough the same thing a few months ago on my 88 same setup.

Where are the cooling bleed points? Is there an actual radiator cap? or just the resivoir cap because that came with a new one. thanks for the help too bro!

It's been my experience that XJ's just don't like extended idle, stuck in traffic or low speed crawling. Some factors that have made it worse in the past for me are trapped air and a partially plugged radiator.

Does your Aux. fan ever turn on? Mine turns on well before the gauge hits the red.

I put in a toggle switch, wired into the thermal switch (just jump the thermal switch) in the lower left of the radiator and turn on my Aux fan when crawling or sitting in traffic.

The top radiator hose is one of the high spots in the system, mine is fairly new and flexible. I crush the top hose a few times with the motor idling and this seems to move much of the air up to the coolant reservoir. It doesn't get all the trapped air moving, but does seem to help. The air eventually finds it's way to the surge tank (coolant reservoir) but the process can take days if not weeks. You can help the process along some by parking nose high and revving the engine.

Burp it again. Many will loosen the temp sensor at te rear of the head. This will let air out, replace cap.

Back