• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which pilot bearing?

zedpapa

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 cherokee that i put an 02 4.0 in and then the BA10 tranny went out. scored a 97 AX-15 from a cherokee and now i'm stumped as to which pilot bearing to use. i checked napa's website and they list different part numbers for the 02 and 97. also, i'm switching to an external slave at the same time. do i just get the MC/hose/slave assembly and bolt it in? thanks for the help.

zedpapa

Swap the hydraulic assembly for the later version - getting rid of the internal slave is a plus!

You can use the same friction kit all the way up, from the Peugeot to the AX-15i to the AX-15e (and probably even the NV3550.)

The later (1991-ish up) AX-15 has a larger pilot than the Peugeot. Since the pilot bore in the crankshaft on RENIX is also a different size than later, you're going to have to go "off-list" for the pilot bushing that will work. The one you want will be the one for the early 1970's CJ with the AMC 304ci V8 and three-speed manual - that should fit neatly for you.

so the hydraulics are a direct swap/bolt in?

as for the pilot bearing, does that still hold true for the 2002 4.0 to the 1997 AX-15? i guess i could put a micrometer on everything. i was hoping to get everything figured out so i could swap everything at once. this is my DD so it can't be down for long. thanks for the help.

zedpapa

PILOT BEARING:

There are two listed at rockauto.com for the 4.0 for 97 and 02:

shaft diameter 0.75"; O.D. 1", width 0.5618"

shaft diameter 0.7518"; O.D. 1.861"; width 0.565"

Time to take some measurements.

i can measure the trans input shaft, but i can't measure the crank as everything is still together. i'm still driving on the wounded BA-10, no first or second synchro. i won't take it apart unitl i have everything figured out.

does anyone know if the clutch M/C and slave assembly is a direct swap?

zedpapa

the input shaft on the 1997 AX-15 is .750". does anyone know the size of the crank on a 2002 4.0? or the clutch master/slave? thanks for all the help so far.

zedpapa

for those that want to know, the pilot bearing to use for a 2002 4.0 and a 97 AX-15 is the one with a 1.861". the bearing itself is the same as the other with the exception of having machined sleeve to fit the larger crank hole. hope this helps someone.

zedpapa

Back