• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement camshaft

The Tupy head is the replacement for the OE 0331, but they are hard to find other than new. The head does not impact the piston choices. What I was trying to say was that you need to have your pistons before you do any machining on the block!

I spoke with the machine shop this morning, and the head was already finished. He was well versed in the issues of this casting and performs a lot of extra time in NDT with these to ensure he is not returning a cracked head to service. He complimented me on mine, saying that it was in quite nicer shape than hes used to seeing when it comes to Jeep heads, and it also did not require any base milling, so thats good to know. Im not so worried about it, as Im very attentive to my driving situation and the gauges. Im one of those nuts that checks the oil, tires and tranny fluid religiously. Anyhow, the shortblock is coming along nicely, and they are waiting for the cam, so as soon as I can get it they can continue.

I take it your having someone build this for you? Again, what about the pistons and connecting rods?

Yes, I said that I disassembled the engine myself, in the parking lot of the apartment complex in which I live. Measured out the cylinders, found that they were at or just past the out-of-round limits stated in the FSM, so then had the Jeep, with the block still installed, towed to the machine shop. So far the bottom end is coming along fine. They are waiting for the cam to show up.

I will send you part number from Rattle Snake Cams give 50 more ft pounds trq will send when I get a chance to find it.

Russ P. hooked me up with a special grind he's got from Comp that he says works really well with the basic 4 liters, and since this is not a high performance type rebuild, I will not have to go with stiffer valvesprings. Not that I had anything against it, but I just have a new set of slightly better-than-stock springs on the way (from Russ also) that I will have installed on the head, and will work just fine with the cam.

Back