• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock xj was stolen at one point. Can't use the key to start it.

Mikep_86441

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

My first post here!!

This new to me 1988 stock 4.0 xj, has an interesting history.

Owner #1 had the unfortunate experience of having the vehicle stolen. The door key and ignition lock are new and match.

Owner #2 had almost zero technical skills.

Owner #3, me, has to find out why when the + battery terminal is connected that the vehicle's electrical system comes on without the key on. A result of the theft me thinks. Maybe still jumpered somewhere? There is a heavy duty momentary switch hanging from the dash to crank the engine. It's connected to battery + and to a grn/wht wire by the starter relay. Not sure who did that. The ignition switch does nothing. It won't crank the engine or turn on the vehicle electrically.

I've searched like a madman under the dash and under the hood for what I think is a jumper of some kind to keep the vehicle electrically hot, or even a disconnected connector.

I've searched for hours via google for schematics. I found one for the ignition but I still failed.

The vehicle starts and runs fine. Drove it 70 miles yesterday.

Please help, and hello !!

Mike

The key actuates a rod that runs down to a weird looking switch mounted on the steering column under the dash. Most likely they didn't get the rod connected correctly or maybe busted that switch.

I was just under the dash again. It occurred to me almost the same thing. If that connector was taken apart, one half of it jumpered, that would fit the symptoms. I'll scout around again in the morning.

One good thing, I just found the speedometer cable disconnected.

Back