• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking D44 axle seal

Jekyll

NAXJA Forum User
I can't get one side to stop leaking. I've secured the race with retaining compound, it doesn't move. The vent isn't plugged. It'll stop leaking for about 2 weeks after the new bearing and seal are installed. Not just a little drip either, it coats the inside of the wheel, wheel well and rear window.

Any suggestions??

I had a problem on mj xj also...it wound up being the axle bent right @ the seal.......I reaplaced the seal adn bearing about 4 times in 6 months then brought it to a shop who spun it on a lathe and sure enough it was bent..not enought to wipe out teh bearing or show signs @ the carrier.....jsut on teh end and teh seal would fail after about 200 miles of driving...replaced the axle and no problem since.

Installed new shafts(Moser) about 6 months ago. I wonder if a bent housing could cause this? Last time I had it aligned, the rear wheels were toed-out and cambered slightly less than 1 degree.

might be time to put my full- floater plan into action.

when a housing is bent it usually shows uneven wear @ the carrier splines...kinda a tapered groove...I never had much luck with moser ....stock axles worked better for me...Id bet your moser is bent

Bent? I'll put that on the list of things that were wrong with the axles when I got them. I've called them a few times regarding certain issues, they're not much good in the customer service dept, are they?

xjnation said:
when a housing is bent it usually shows uneven wear @ the carrier splines...kinda a tapered groove...I never had much luck with moser ....stock axles worked better for me...Id bet your moser is bent

id check the backing plate and seal retainer flange before you go accusing moser of sending you a bent axle shaft. another thing you can do is take the spring from a new seal and add it to the spring on your currently pressed on seal. ive had 3 on mine once trying everything to fix a leak, but my backing plate was bent up pretty good.

Hunter

I also highly doubt they'd send me a bent shaft. I'm all done dealing with them anyway.

I removed the wheels, rotors, ran the truck in gear and both flanges run perfectly straight. I'm guessing that's a good indication that the shafts are straight??

I'll check the backing plate, retainer and spring...

It's been leaking for 5 years, every 6 months or so I take a shot at repairing it.

Thanks for the info, fellas.

Back