• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning a Garage Floor

MinotJeep

NAXJA Forum User
My friend is moving out of his place and his garage floor has a oil/mud residue on it that is pretty nasty and tough to scrub off. Does anyone know of a product that we can use to get the floor clean.
Thanks - Matt

I used some stuff from AZ. A concrete cleaner. Still requires scrubbing, but got 90% of the oil stains out. A pressure washer with cleaner might work well also.

Spray the floor with orange degreaser and let it soak for a while. Go rent a Pressure washer, the bigger, the better, just don't hold the wand so close you spawl the concrete. If there is still some stuff on the floor, use a TSP mixture and a scrub brush.

You can also go to a pool supply store and get Muratic Acid, couple thtat with a good wire brush and a LOT of fresh air and you can get just about anything out. Carefully though, it will whiten the concrete, so if you're not careful you can get white spots.

GSequoia said:
You can also go to a pool supply store and get Muratic Acid, couple thtat with a good wire brush and a LOT of fresh air and you can get just about anything out. Carefully though, it will whiten the concrete, so if you're not careful you can get white spots.

you may want to dilute it with water....we use this stuff all the time at work. at 10 parts water 1 part acid its safe to wash your hands in. use a good stiff acid brush on a broom stick. you can pick it up at any janitorial supply place in 1 and 5 gal quantities

Hunter

Contact a local Contractor supply house, and get some good quality contractor floor cleaner. The company I work for, makes some wicked stuff I can send them name of it to you back-channel.

w_howey said:
Contact a local Contractor supply house, and get some good quality contractor floor cleaner. The company I work for, makes some wicked stuff I can send them name of it to you back-channel.

And I s'pose you know of a good contractor supply house, huh?

My freing who owns a large contracting company told me the best way to make your cement driveway or garage look like new again, is to simply dust the floor with concrete powder, sprinkle water and brush the slurry around, the floor will then appear to be new one dry.

XJguy

MinotJeep said:
My friend is moving out of his place and his garage floor has a oil/mud residue on it that is pretty nasty and tough to scrub off. Does anyone know of a product that we can use to get the floor clean.
Thanks - Matt

i use tide (or other laundry soap) powder...let it soak in and scrub it...then i get some garage floor oil stain releaser and poof, good as new...acid will work too tho...i use it to etch galvanized metal before soldering joints...

XJguy said:
My freing who owns a large contracting company told me the best way to make your cement driveway or garage look like new again, is to simply dust the floor with concrete powder, sprinkle water and brush the slurry around, the floor will then appear to be new one dry.

XJguy
How much shipped to 78233?

XJguy said:

XJguy

For about a week, untill it crumbles back in to powder.

Amway makes a pretty good concrete cleaner, I used it a couple of times at my parents house. Basiclly it soaks in and breaks down the petro distilates and floats them to the surface so you have to keep the floor pretty wet while you are using it, I then used a rubber squeege, push broom sized, to push the slurry out the front into the gravel driveway, usually did it two or three times till I wa satisfied and it took about 5 hours. If you use a power washer just make sure you point it at the open door othewise your next question will be how to get oil stains off painted sheetrock walls and ceilings...

seanR said:

A week is long enough to get paid and get away from the job. Then if they complain, you can point out that it looked good when you finished it.

seanR said:

No the idea is to get the cement into the floor not to coat it, so there is not enough there to crack off.

XJguy

seanR said:
And I s'pose you know of a good contractor supply house, huh?

I can recommend several in all parts of the country. But, that goes with the territory. Hey, if I can get one of my customers a few bucks, then everyone wins.

All I have to say to you is: I am looking to get my parking lot 'tar and chipped' Know anyone who I can get to do it?

i love simple green . wet the floor put the green on the floor scrub with a broom and rinse youll be amazed and it smells good too

w_howey said:
All I have to say to you is: I am looking to get my parking lot 'tar and chipped' Know anyone who I can get to do it?

Hell Yea! See I am not goofing off here at work, I am donig P.R. and creating new job opportunities. Now I just need to convince them to work out west!

Back