• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle 97-01 Install

2000XJSPORT

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
With the help of JEEPZZ and many others. I have completed the install for the extended idle. It works great and it was not hard to install. As asked by JEEPZZ to reply on the activation light. I too could not get it to light up. I connected the ground, fused panel lamps dimmer switch signal, and the idle actuator, but did not connect fused ignition switch run. When I did connect the fused ignition switch run wire up to the correct color and number off the A/C plug. The switch did not work at all and the lights all dimmed in the car. So I cut it loose and left it unhooked. Also I did bypass C100 and C107 when running the wire from the switch to PCM C1 #12. If anyone knows how to get the light to work. I would really appreciate it.
Alex

EXTidle.jpg

Picture025.jpg

PCMC1.jpg

Thanks, Just wish i could of got that light working, but atleast it works. I had one question. Does your switch work when the headlight are on? Mine does not when I have the head lights on.
Alex

Its not a activation light, it only lights when your instrument lights are on and it should work with headlights on.
One other thing, you see wire called "Other" C107?
If you connect that wire to what ever you want like a "light bar" your high idle will come on by it's self

Last edited:
So that little orange light does not light up when the switch is pressed? The backlight does come on when the headlights are on. I do not know why it does not work with head lights on.
Alex

2000XJSPORT said:
So that little orange light does not light up when the switch is pressed? The backlight does come on when the headlights are on. I do not know why it does not work with head lights on.
Alex
Sorry I was thinking only about the back light, you could have 3and 4 reversed the indicator should work.

I have all the wires in the right spots just as it shows in the OEM wiring diagram. I dont have the fused ignition switch output (RUN) #3 wire hooked up because when I did the switch did not work at all and when pushed it made the lights in the car dim. It says that wire is an external splice, but i do not know what that means. Does anyone know the difference between a internal and external splice as stated in the OEM repair manual.
Alex

switch.jpg

Last edited:
I have all the wires in the right spots just as it shows in the OEM wiring diagram. I don't have the fused ignition switch output (RUN) wire hooked up because when I did the switch did not work at all and when pushed it made the lights in the car dim. It says that wire is an external splice, but i do not know what that means. Does anyone know the difference between a internal and external splice as stated in the OEM repair manual.
Thats where I'm confused, with Fused ign (run) disconnected high idle should not work.
Were are you getting the 12v to feed the switch?
It looks like you have two white wires with your bypass, could you have them switched?

Last edited:
langer1 said:
Thats where I'm confused, with Fused ign (run) disconnected high idle should not work.
Were are you getting the 12v to feed the switch?
It looks like you have two white wires with your bypass, could you have them switched?

It works without Fused ign (run). Im not sure why, but it does and I do not really know what Fused ign (run) is. The switch is getting a ground and a dimmer switch signal. The connector that I use is from a fog lamp harness which was not used in the install of my fog lamps. So I used it and just added the a wire to PCM 12. I used a white wire to run to PCM 12. The disconnected grey wire with a red connector on it in the last pic is from C107 where it dead ends before entering the harness to under the dash at C100.
Alex
#1 is Black (Ground) #2 White spicing into the already connected purple (Idle actuator) #3 Blue (Fused ing output (RUN) and #4 (Fused panel lamps dimmer signal)
EXTIdleSwitchWires.jpg

Thanks for the closeup of the 4-switch panel - I ordered mine last week (driving light switch is eventually going in there), and was wondering how it would look in detail.

when you bought the switch, did it come with the little wire pigtail thingy that plugs into the back of it?
that makes things really easy. i was sort of wondering how you connected the wires.

I used the pigtail that was in my XJ. When I got fog lamps installed they used a new harness and just left the factory one next to the switch bezel. If you have it it is black and it will give you a ground and the backlight. All you have to do it shave off the key on the plug so that it will fit into the ext idle switch. Then I just ran a wire to PCM 12. But like I have said before I do not know how to get the light to turn on when the switch is pushed and how to connect the fused ign. output. Other wise the switch works with out that connected.
Alex

Last edited:
Compairing Front fog to Extend idle connectors 1 and 4 are reversed.
On Fog 1 is OR 4 is Bk. On High idle 1is BK and 4 is OR.
That ign (run) is any wire thats hot only in run and not start you don't want Hi idle when your cranking.

Last edited:
I notice that too and I have checked the connection to make sure I have the wires in the right spots. Would you have any idea to why when I connect ign (run) to the plug the switch will not work at all and light dim when pressed. Also do you think ign (run ) wire has anything to do with that light comming on?
Alex

2000XJSPORT said:
I notice that too and I have checked the connection to make sure I have the wires in the right spots. Would you have any idea to why when I connect ign (run) to the plug the switch will not work at all and light dim when pressed. Also do you think ign (run ) wire has anything to do with that light comming on?
Alex
Yes the ground wire is on the wrong terminal,

So I guess I will switch them and see what happens. I will flip the orange and the black and then try it. The switch works the way it is now so if this does not work I will go back to the way I have it now. Sound ok?
thanks for the help too.
Alex

2000XJSPORT said:
So I guess I will switch them and see what happens. I will flip the orange and the black and then try it. The switch works the way it is now so if this does not work I will go back to the way I have it now. Sound ok?
thanks for the help too.
Alex
The fog light power goes off when the high beam are on so that's your other problem.
The (run) ign wire should power the High Idle circut not the fog light power.

Ok thanks. I will switch the wire and see if this fixes the problems. Thanks again.
Alex

Problem fixed. I had the wires wrong in the plug and I also did connect the Ign (Run) wire. The Ext Idle switch lights up and works great. Thanks again langer1 and JEEPZZ for all your help.
Alex

ExtIdle4.jpg

Back