• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping different year/model TC's and related ?'s

LynchMob

NAXJA Forum User
I problems to sort out before I do some swapping around of drivetrain / suspension components on my XJs this spring.

Vehicle SPECS:

1987 Laredo 2dr I6 AW4 NP242 D30/35 3:54

1990 Laredo 4dr I6 AW4 NP 231 D30/44 3:54; RE H&T SYE, custom DS using a spare stock Front CV DS. 5.5"HD

1999 Classic 4dr I6 AW4 NP 231 D30/8.25 3:54

The 1987 is just a beater (got it cheap for the D44) and I will be stripping it of all useful parts this spring. All of the "goodies" from the 1990 will be going over to the 1999. The conundrum (sp?) I have is in regards to what I should do for the 1999's SYE/DS combo. I'd hate to spend cash on a new RE SYE and driveshaft ($300 or whatever) and have the 1990's go to waste. I'd like reuse that from the 1990 and then just swap the 1987s 242 (cause the 1990's hacked up is useless) but need to know if the different years/models means possibly different spline counts? Also, is it possible/do I have to to switch over the shifter plate/dash lights? If this is out of the question what about changing the output shaft? What would be easiest?

If this won't work I hope to be able to use the 1987s front DS customized with a new RE SYE. But this costs money and I haven't taken a good look to make sure it's the right CV type shaft. Another question someone can hopefully answer.

All the output shafts have the same spline count,the differences are on the input side!BTW:I need a Np231 shifter bezel?Ron

Anyone know if input spline count is same for these model/years?

That bezel will be useless to me if I do the swap, so if you still need it it is yours.

The 87's 242 will be 21 spline.

The 90's 231 should be 23...but you'll have to check to be certain.

The 99 will be 23 spline.

You could always use the matching AW4 to use the transfer you want.

I used an 88 AW4 in a 94 so i could reuse my SYE'd 242.

Dont forget about the spline length on the 23 splines!You can swap out the input shaft though!Ill PM you re: the bezel!TIA
011_01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. Good stuff.

I'm thinking now the easiest solution is to simply remove the hacked up rear output shaft and replace it with the 87's. These are for sure the same specs and are removeable, right? I just have to split the case and ta da.

And don't worry RPhx we have a local, all Jeep parts yard, very cheap, so if you still need the bezel...

Back