NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old December 28th, 2004, 19:34
NAXJA Forum User

hesitation

I've got a 92 sport with 4.0L, aw4, 231, and I've put on the K&N FIPK, 3/4" tb spacer and a Flowmaster 40. It's got the stock header and downpipe(not for long) and cat. My problem is I have a hesitation at about 1100 rpm. It's not major but I'd like to get rid of it. I was talking to my mechanic friend and put it on the Mac scanner and the only codes are for the electric fan(which my non-a/c Jeep does not have). He's thinking bad plugs or too much air. The fuel pressure is fine so I wouldn't tend to go with the too much air/running lean theory. Any thoughts?
Old December 28th, 2004, 23:48
NAXJA Forum User

Re: hesitation

Have you cleaned the intake?

Rough idle and some hesitations are caused by carbon/junk buildup on the butterfly valve on the air intake.

You can use carb cleaner or maybe even better is the "sea foam" Just follow the instructions on the can. I used it on my 92 tonight and it cleaned it right up, response is smoother, idles smoother, the whole nine yards.......

Good Luck!
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:37
NAXJA Forum User

What was the code number? Sometimes the service manuals do not have the right list of codes, or do not list codes for all years.
Old December 29th, 2004, 22:27
NAXJA Forum User

I cleaned out the tb when I put on the spacer a few months ago.
The codes were 33 and 35
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:15
NAXJA Forum User

According to http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm the code 33 (w/o air conditioning) is what you might call the 'closing code' of the series -- it's just its way of telling you that it is done giving you codes.

I'm not sure what to make of the code 35. You could try using the self-diagnosis method -- put the key in the ignition & turn it to the "on" position (not "start," just "accessory on" or whatever it's called) three times, leaving it in the "on" position the third time (that website I linked to above describes the procedure also). Maybe that will give you different codes, but probably not.

Most XJs have all the same wiring, regardless of whether they have all the same features. For example, I believe most XJs have the wiring for fog lights, though many were sold without fog lights. Perhaps there's a fault in the _wiring_ where your aux. fan would be if you had one? I'm sorry, I have no clue.

But your mechanic may be correct about the plugs. Try the cheap Champion "Truck Plugs" (part number 4412, about $2.69 a piece at AutoZone), I've heard only good things about running these simple plugs in XJs. Most folks are against running the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. Some people suggest getting Champion plugs & gapping them a little larger than the stock .035" but I haven't tried that. I run the Champion Truck Plugs with Bosch plug wires (7mm). I found that a good set of wires like mine make a siginificant difference in the smoothness at idle (www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com recommends Splitfire 7.5mm dual core spark plug wires). I suppose you could use a multimeter to test your ignition coil, also, to see whether that might be causing the problem (or have your mechanic check it).