• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle Swap & Wheel Size Question

You might be able to put a .5"-.75" wheel spacer, if such a thing exists. I have 17" jk rubi wheels which Have 6.25" of BS with a 1.5" spacer, so I net 4.75" and my tire weights hit the TRE on tight turns. I've heard of some being able to work 15" wheels with like 3.5ish" of BS but I don't have any experience with it.

Hmm, sounds like it would be tight. I don't know the clearance difference between a 15x8 w/3.75 and 15x10 w/4. I would think that mine would be .75 past yours, so they wouldn't clear the tie rods.

I ran stock 15" steelies (5.25 BS) w/ 1.5" spacers, cleared but was close.
Try it. Worst case scenario, you're out ~50 or 100 bucks on some spacers. On tie rods.. do yourself a favor and run WJ tie rod ends w/ a JKS or Rusty's or Clayton or Whoever tie rod. Factory parts with a 7/8 shank? Clear winner right there.

I ran Raceline monsters in 15x9 3.25" backspace

And Steel 15x8 3.75" backspace.. with akebono calipers.. Both were tight, but cleared

Yeah, I was looking at the Ruffstuff heims.

There has been lots of talk about how much longer FK heims last than the ruffstuff. Might be piece of mind for little more money. I have not had any issues with my ruffstuff heims. Then again, I am using their 1.25" heims in my mid arms. Most people do not have too many complaints about those larger joints.
7/8x3/4 heims seem to be the way most people are going as well.

I figured I would update this in case anyone else was looking for answers. I had my wheel measured with a tire caliper, and it turns out my wheel is 9", which probably means 4.5" of backspacing. It also means that it did not fit without spacers. What is odd is I cannot find a 15x9" black steel wheel anywhere.

So now I'm looking for new wheels...

I figured I would update this in case anyone else was looking for answers. I had my wheel measured with a tire caliper, and it turns out my wheel is 9", which probably means 4.5" of backspacing. It also means that it did not fit without spacers. What is odd is I cannot find a 15x9" black steel wheel anywhere.

So now I'm looking for new wheels...

Just run the spacers. I’ve been running spacers and 35’s with my WJ swap without issue. And if it creates the same backspacing as a new wheel it won’t create any more wear

Just run the spacers. I’ve been running spacers and 35’s with my WJ swap without issue. And if it creates the same backspacing as a new wheel it won’t create any more wear

How bad is having .25" less of threads holding the wheels on?

On a related note, I'm guessing you are running 15s as well. How does the Jeep ride with 35s and 15" wheels?

I’m talking about the spacers that have their own lug nuts. Not the little metal plate that’s like 3/16” thick. Actual hubcentric wheel spacers. 15’s and 35’s are great. It’s the cheapest way to get 35’s, at least it was when I bought mine.

Back