• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BUILD - 1990 XJ Wagoneer Limited

There are plenty of plug-and-play harnesses, so no issues there.

There are a number of H4-based housings that swap directly into the 6054-type sealed beam units - Autopal, Hella, Cibie, IPF, etc. You can get either the North American beam pattern or the (much superior) E-Code type, and unless someone starts comparing the fluting on the glass, they'll never see the difference.

I can also attest to the fact that a set of Autopal H4 E-code housings, even on the OEM wiring, is a MASSIVE improvement in headlight output over any sealed-beam unit, having done that for 10 years before adding the a relay harness.

Example link for the autopal units to get if you want to go this way: https://www.ebay.com/itm/200mm-H605...263845247668?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

You can get housings that have better beam patterns and take modern bulbs and won't change the look.

Fantastic. I love the idea of LEDs, but it would change it up too much. Plus old wiring is...old wiring.

I'm feeling like work is going to resume on this thing again soon. I'm still waiting on the redone trim/moulding. We moved in the middle of all this and I have boxes of parts I need to sort through and clean.

Depending on all the stuff going on - assuming the world doesn't end - I'm hoping it's back home by the end of the year.

Plug and play is just my speed. I had a Ford Focus years back that I converted to the euro headlights/front end and that was most certainly NOT plug and play. I got it done, but what a pain in the butt that was.

I'll check these out, thanks!

Glad to be of help. Here's a link to the harness I bought for my truck:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H5JFHR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pics don't indicate it, but what I got was an actual Hella-branded harness with Hella-branded relays.

If you've got the 4-bulb headlight system, then this harness and those E-codes won't work for you, but you might be able to reach out to the sellers to see if they have equivalent products for your application.

Vince, I think the 4x6 might be the 6054-type. The 4-light Wagoneer models had smaller lights, I think.

Rob, you're right, I don't remember them being an 8"+ tall stack. They must have been smaller.

Not much news for now. Still waiting on the trim/surround pieces. After that we can put the wood/vinyl on and finally see how that looks, then cut out the passenger side floor and replace with the donor floor.

I've been trying to decide what to do with the driver's side floor. There's no rust, but the previous owner had some kind of contraption bolted to it - possibly handicapped controls or similar. There was a large metal bracket there and three large holes bolted through the floor. The waggy isn't going to see severe use, but I feel like those holes should be plugged.

I managed to score a NOS tan tire cover for the spare - still in the package and the receipt for the original owner. I don't think it was ever unwrapped prior.

Next big expense will be the interior, but that is going to wait a bit. Once I've got it back in my garage I'll POR the floor most likely, and sound deaden. I may try to find acrylic vapor barriers and the like. Before it's too far back together I'd like to go through and inspect/replace anything under the dash that looks suspect.

There is literally, as you all know, and endless list of crap to do, lol.

We made a conscious decision with this one to try our best to not read any of the invoices too hard. And to never look in the Waggy folder again once it's done.

My take on it is the money spent to maintain my Jeep is still way less than I'd spend on a vehicle I can't work on, is a distraction, and is meant to keep me at the dealership more than on the road.

I am happy to see this project is still moving forward.

Slow progress is still progress.

I am happy to see this project is still moving forward.

Slow progress is still progress.

Oh we're too far in to back out now. The problem I have without it here is that I start questioning things. Right now I'm questioning dumb stuff, like should we have repainted it a different color because there will be white parts visible. There's a particular reason, outside of loving the dark blue color, that we repainted it.

With 235k miles on it, the engine will be out sooner than later, so I'll probably have the bay painted then. The floor and roof will be POR15'd most likely after sound deadening. I'd like to find a place to sandblast the underside and POR15 that too, but I'm not sure anyone around here does it.

So that would only leave some of the original color behind the dash. But hey - it's what I'm obsessing about at the moment.

Oh just checking in. I think the Waggy should be back to the house soon. What a long, weird pandemic it's been. On the one side, I think of all the work I could've gotten done during this time, LOL. On the other, that's more time for me to do this stuff with my kid as he's gotten a year old during this time.

To muddy things, another project has fallen into my lap. My late father's 87 e30 BMW. For sentimental reasons I'd like to ressurrect it, but we shall see. I don't know that I have the budget for 2 projects. I definitely don't have the space.

In the interim I've managed to score a luggage cover, a tire cover, and other bits and pieces for the interior of the Waggy. I am currently hunting for the chrome mouldings (belt?) around the windows. Turning out to be a tough search.

Don't feel bad. I've got no kids and still got almost nothing done in the pandemic. It was enough to work at my job and do what little I could on projects around the home and on the Jeep. Didn't help with hail damage recently and the little west Texas 'incident' which didn't turn out to be much.

I'm looking forward to when I can at least wrangle the kid into being my tool gopher, as I was with my dad before.

Just collecting the parts I remember it needs, but at this point I'd need to lay eyes on it. It's been months since I've seen it.

Not just tool gophers, but also small hands on flexible frames that can reach those spots the rest of us can no longer get to.

I’m still kicking around. Not much to post right now.

I’m still waiting on some parts, and trying to find some parts, lol. Once I have em we. An finish the exterior for now.

I also got a little side lined by taking possession of my late fathers e30, which was on pretty rough shape. It’s pretty good now though!

Back