• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some flare advice

Czjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for some flares for my 1999 XJ that will let me cut the most out of my flares for as little lift to fit 31's.
Currently on factory tires and a 1.5" puck and helper spring bump lift.

keep in mind that tires wider than the flares WILL throw mud and rocks into the air. The rocks and mud will often land on your XJ, hood, windshield, roof. A windshield can be broke by this. If your tires stick out past the flares you may want wider flares.

Looking for some flares for my 1999 XJ that will let me cut the most out of my flares for as little lift to fit 31's.
Currently on factory tires and a 1.5" puck and helper spring bump lift.

My 2001 uses raised Factory flares, allowing the 33X10.50s to just fit under them, keeping them legal and preventing rooster tails in the wet.

41443739534_34fb2d4093_w.jpg

keep in mind that tires wider than the flares WILL throw mud and rocks into the air. The rocks and mud will often land on your XJ, hood, windshield, roof. A windshield can be broke by this. If your tires stick out past the flares you may want wider flares.

Yep, that’s why I asked what flares I can buy that will allow the most trimming. Thanks.

I think the flat flares give the most clearance. Or maybe the hooligans. I dunno.
When I was researching them none of the flares seemed to gain a ton of tire clearance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Those are nice but only for show rigs, I've drug the fenders many times plus I have a big rock gouge on my upper hatch pillar.

Ron you are actually 100% wrong when it comes to these flairs. I have them on my rig, and have wheeled Johnson Valley, the Rubicon, the Dusy Ershim and numerous other trails with them, I have drug them over rocks, leaned them into trees etc, and they are tough as hell!
WheelingRubiconXJ%202_zpse1jkw1vy.jpg

There is only so far you can trim without getting into "major mod" territory once you get close to the spot welds and leaving room for the rear doors on a 4-door. It is pretty obvious once you get into the job. I'm happy with Napier flat flares. Obviously steel would would be stronger. They have held up fine for me for 3+ years of what I guess is mild/moderate wheeling in mostly open places.

Be careful near your washer fluid reservoir on a 97+. Really careful- like stick something metal in the gap before you drill those holes. Ask me how I know

Pic with 265-75-16 which is just a bit taller and narrower than 31x10.5-15.

aZJ6WWJ7RmaKgoHz5

My 97 has a 3.5 inch suspension with lift lower arms and 2 inches of bump stop extension front and rear.

It handles 31 inch Good Year tires on stock wheels completely stuffed-disconnected without rubbing. No trimming has been done. Before putting on the JCR front bumper, the front tires contacted that back edge of the bumper surround.

Back