NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:01
R-IK R-IK is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Israel
Posts: 32
Question shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

Guys,
I have decided to lift my stock Cherokee (2001, 4.0L, automatic).
After a month or reading any relevant thread in this (great) site I have chosen the following:
1. RE 6030 package (3.5" lift)
2. AA SYE + Tom woods C/V drive shaft
3. RE Adjustable penhard (not the HD)

Now I have to take a decision about the shocks and I'm a little bit confused. I would like to keep my XJ as comfort as I can.
What did you install ? how does it feel (stiffness) comparing to the OEM shocks ? and how does it work in off-road tracks ?

Any suggestions are welcomed !

-- Arik.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:30
jeep01xj's Avatar
jeep01xj jeep01xj is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 86
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

I would say OME or Bilstien 5100 or 5150. Both will give you great ride quality and great off road performance.

I just picked up some OME. I know alot of guys run them and like them. I also know the the RE twin tube are pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:33
88XjLaredo's Avatar
88XjLaredo 88XjLaredo is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tn
Posts: 152
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

I had the RE 3.5" on mine and ran Doetsch Tech 3000's. That's one of the worst decisions I have ever made. The ride was very stiff and felt as if my back was the actual shocks. If you want a more comfortable ride go with OME or Bilstein's.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:48
R-IK R-IK is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Israel
Posts: 32
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

I thought about the OME too but I'm not so sure regarding their capabilities vs. the RE monotube (that were tested with that kit) in off-road.
I also understood that the RE springs will overcome any set that I'll use. correct me if I wrong...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 15th, 2006, 17:14
XJack XJack is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NW PA
Posts: 212
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

I ran OME LT's on my RE 3.5 and RE 4.5. My kidneys have thanked me endless times for it on the trail and the street.

If you go OME, you won't be disappointed - much better riding than stock, even with RE's stiffer springs.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 15th, 2006, 17:24
ColoradoXJ13's Avatar
ColoradoXJ13 ColoradoXJ13 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 142
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88XjLaredo
I had the RE 3.5" on mine and ran Doetsch Tech 3000's. That's one of the worst decisions I have ever made. The ride was very stiff and felt as if my back was the actual shocks. If you want a more comfortable ride go with OME or Bilstein's.
x2 DT3000's are the worst shocks out there, the cheapest ones that Checker auto had rode better than them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 15th, 2006, 22:18
R-IK R-IK is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Israel
Posts: 32
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJack
I ran OME LT's on my RE 3.5 and RE 4.5. My kidneys have thanked me endless times for it on the trail and the street.

If you go OME, you won't be disappointed - much better riding than stock, even with RE's stiffer springs.
Thanks for the advise.
Is there any chance that you have their part number or the keyword LT is good enough?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:49
BIGSLVRXJ BIGSLVRXJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 4,647
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-IK
Thanks for the advise.
Is there any chance that you have their part number or the keyword LT is good enough?
I think OME N35 and N40 should be their # for a 3.5-4.5" lift. Those are what I'm thinking of buying too. Don't go with RE Twintubes, they ride horribly stiff, and your kidneys won't be thanking you on that one. I've had them for a year, they may be okay for offroading, but mine is a DD and they suck on road.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:01
R-IK R-IK is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Israel
Posts: 32
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackHeep
I think OME N35 and N40 should be their # for a 3.5-4.5" lift. Those are what I'm thinking of buying too. Don't go with RE Twintubes, they ride horribly stiff, and your kidneys won't be thanking you on that one. I've had them for a year, they may be okay for offroading, but mine is a DD and they suck on road.
As far as I know the XJ's OME kit is the #N35 (front) and #N36 (rear) and is valid up to 3". The #N40 was designed for the ZJ which is valid for 3-5".

Do I need to take 'adjustments' into account?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:01
Bridgman's Avatar
Bridgman Bridgman is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Winterville, NC
Posts: 144
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

pro comp es9000's
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 17th, 2006, 14:52
XJack XJack is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NW PA
Posts: 212
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-IK
As far as I know the XJ's OME kit is the #N35 (front) and #N36 (rear) and is valid up to 3". The #N40 was designed for the ZJ which is valid for 3-5".

Do I need to take 'adjustments' into account?
N35 and N36 is correct. What do you mean by adjustments?

Mine were on BPE's front and rear, and I was not shock limiting at 3.5 w/ 31's or 4.5 w/ 33's. Bumpstops are your friend.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 17th, 2006, 23:58
R-IK R-IK is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Israel
Posts: 32
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJack
N35 and N36 is correct. What do you mean by adjustments?

Mine were on BPE's front and rear, and I was not shock limiting at 3.5 w/ 31's or 4.5 w/ 33's. Bumpstops are your friend.
Regarding the adjustments I referred to the N40 which was designed for ZJ.
The N35&36 were designed to up to 3" suspension lift.

I found in http://www.drivetrain.com/EMU/emuche...eexj84_01.html that there is a set of long travel shocks (N35L/N36L Extended Length Shocks) that were designed for 3-5" suspension lifts.

I assume that this is the appropriate set for RE 3.5". correct me if I wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:11
Red97XJ's Avatar
Red97XJ Red97XJ is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 791
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

call dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com he will set ya up with the right ome shocks and even lift for a amazing-hard-to-believe price.

I have the 3.5" RE6030 (from dirk) with the OME and it rides just slightly nicer on road than it did stock. (97 4 dr with 90,000 miles then) Does GREAT offroad.

your gonna love that setup. I have been 2 years now and I feel it is the perfect DD/trail setup. I run 32x15 GY MTR's with bumpstops... its great.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 18th, 2006, 16:41
Semper Fi Semper Fi is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 314
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

I have the exact setup you have minus the panhard. I went with the RE monotube shocks and they are great!!! Whenyou first put the lift on it is going to be a bit stiff. Just go out and flex the crap out of it and before you know it, it will be riding better than stock just like mine. I'll enclose a pic for you from last weekend were I flexed the crap out of mine. Great lift!!!!!


Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 18th, 2006, 22:00
R-IK R-IK is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Israel
Posts: 32
Re: shocks recommendations for RE 3.5" lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Fi
I have the exact setup you have minus the panhard. I went with the RE monotube shocks and they are great!!! Whenyou first put the lift on it is going to be a bit stiff. Just go out and flex the crap out of it and before you know it, it will be riding better than stock just like mine. I'll enclose a pic for you from last weekend were I flexed the crap out of mine. Great lift!!!!!


Looks great!
Can't wait to see my XJ dressed with it
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trade RE Monotubes (2) (4.5"/5.5" lift) for (2) stock length shocks? ZachMan For Sale: Private Party Only. XJ ITEMS ONLY 4 May 15th, 2006 16:49
Need New Shocks - recommendations? Zeke OEM Tech Discussion 20 October 23rd, 2003 14:40
4 1/2" -5 1/2" lift shocks needed ASAP BillR Wanted: Private Party Only 4 October 1st, 2003 10:47
OME shocks for 5.5" lift KLXJ Modified Tech Discussion 7 September 13th, 2003 07:39
5.5"-6" lift what size front shocks do you run? XJguy Modified Tech Discussion 7 May 29th, 2003 10:13


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014