• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Issue...need help

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
Last summer we were camping and when I went to leave our campsite one day the clutch decided to engage at the floor instead of at the top like it normally does(It only did this one time...then it started engaging at the normal spot). When I got home, i checked the clutch fluid and it was low...almost empty so I filled it up. It didn't do that again for about 3 months but the other day it did the same thing and I checked the clutch fluid and its a little low, but nothing to worry about.

Anyone know what this could be?

This is a 1993 Cherokee with 4.0L and AX15

Last edited:
clutch master or the slave is leaking. clutch master leak at the rod and drip on the drivers side floor or fuse block and the slave(if internal) will leak out the bottom of the bellhousing.

thanks...I was hoping its not the slave since its internal on mine. I'll have to look into it a little more, but it doesn't seem like its leaking enough for me to notice.

No, but if it's leaking from M/C down over your C101 connector block, you're in for trouble. The fluid will melt that plastic.

Yes. Part of it is on the other side of the firewall, and it's right below the clutch master cylinder.

No, he won't be stuck in gear. He'll have to stop the engine to come to a stop, but it is entirely possible to shift with a completely failed slave cylinder.

No, he won't be stuck in gear. He'll have to stop the engine to come to a stop, but it is entirely possible to shift with a completely failed slave cylinder.

i should have said the clutch will be engaged if the slave goes. you can still get it out of gear by pulling the shifter hard and up shift by getting it to the correct rpm to synchronize the gears, but the clutch will not release from the flywheel if the slave goes out.

Back