• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 Clutch Issue.

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I was leaving a friends house he just had a newborn and my exuast is loud so I coasted out of his driveway to avoid noise. When I started my jeep The clutch went Rock hard...I couldn't even push it in a bit. So After checking things over I decided to just push hard....not smart, It made a pop and got me about 2 1/2 shifts before going completely out! the clutch pedal swings back and forth with no pressure at all. I was told I pushed the throwout bearing out, but then someone said as I drove it home clutchless I would have heard the bearing rattling. Then I was told It was either the master or slave....Whatta you think fellas??

when it happened to my 89, it was the internal slave.

i first thought it was the master so i replaced it. when i pushed the clutch in after the new master, fluid ran out the bottom of the bellhousing from the slave

So, Does me not being able to push the clutch in at all untill I forced it sound like a slave cyl issue? The whole clutch system only has about 2,000 miles. So I dont wanna replace things that arent broke.

jeepman121 said:
So, Does me not being able to push the clutch in at all untill I forced it sound like a slave cyl issue? The whole clutch system only has about 2,000 miles. So I dont wanna replace things that arent broke.

replace the master and if that doesnt fix it, than it may be the slave. the master is external and if that doesnt fix the problem, than your most likely going to need to drop the tranny to find the problem.

For starters, do you have any fluid left in the clutch master? If you do, get ready to drop the transmission, I'll be something wasn't assembled right.

Not being able to push down the clutch pedal suggests a number of things. Damaged master cylinder, damaged slave cylinder, something out of place in the bell housing.

Yes theres fluid. And the Jeep ran fine for those 2,000 miles then all of the sudden it went hard as a rock....The guy who put my clutch in is more than qualified hes been a mechanic for 30+ years.

Hey. Slow down...... you've posted 3 bumps. DON'T. Folks will respond when they can.

Sorry, I'm at work and leaving soon I don't have the net at home right now. When I saw my thread up top I thought I had recieved an answer...not a tutorial on how to be an asshole.

There is a quick disconnect where the slave line comes out of the bell housing. How about disconnecting that (and putting the end in a bottle so as not to spill brake fluid all over) to see if you can push the pedal then? If you can, it's related to the slave cylinder or something else hidden away in the clutch housing, and you have to tear that whole system apart. I have a 92, and it is definitely an internal slave cylinder. If you can't push the pedal, then it's probably the master cylinder, which is easily swapped out. If I recall correctly, the quick disconnect needs to be pushed inward (it's like a plastic sleeve around the connector) toward the bigger piece of the connector before pulling the connector apart, but it's been a while since I've done it.

Well, When the pedal went stiff I was 30 miles from home, and got impatient and forced it in. It popped free I got 3 shifts out of it and it went dead...swings back and forth no pressure at all. I power shifted all the way home. And didnt hear the throw out bearing rattling around or anything on the way.

Sorry for the poor read, my initial reply was based on thinking it was still stuck. But you might want to disconnect the line anyway to see if the master actually pumps fluid or not. If not, then you know where to start replacing parts. Naturally, since the slave is internal, and requires much much more work to get at, the problem will likely be lurking there. . . Replacing the master cylinder is easy, although bleeding the system is annoying. A bleeder line with a check valve has helped me in the past. And a second person to pour fluid into the master cylinder as needed and also work the pedal was quite helpful for me.

Back