• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Testing and Disconnecting EGR on 1990 Renix

Can someoen tell me how to test my EGR and also how to disconnect it as I have heard it wont affect the perfomrance at all.

Test with the engine idling. Disconnect the vehicle vacuum hose to the valve, connect a hand pump to the valve, and pull a vacuum (opening the valve.) The engine should stumble, if not stall out completely.

To disconnect - pull the vacuum line off of the valve and plug, or pull it off of the solenoid on the fenderwell and cap the port. This is one case where an emissions device actually creates more emissions than it's meant to solve - some time ago, my 1987 failed emissions because the EGR was gone. You couldn't tell with the sniffer - the "tech" checked it the same way I just told you to.

Two hundred bones later, my EGR worked - and all my emissions numbers were significantly up. How's that work again?

Back