• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001XJ front fender trim job.

jdogg4

NAXJA Forum User
2001XJ trim job.

So about 2 to 3 weeks ago Dustyjeeper let me try on his 35" MTR's. Well Now I got the 35" tire crack shakes and MUST NEED WILL have 35s on my rig. IN the pics below you can see I don't have much room up front wheel wells, but in the second link you can see that's changed.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2108262915

I had more trouble with the stinking washer bottle than anything else really. I removedand unplugged all the lines and electrical and snapped off theupper tabs, but still couldn't get it off. Man even with a flashlight I had a hard time finding the two hidden retaining clips. I just started unbolting stuff and bam off it came.

I thought I would take off like 2" then thought no no that won't do. Then I was like 2-1/2" nope need to go 3. Sat back looking at it and said if I go 3" might as well take off 3-1/2". So well I did I ended up taking off 3-1/2"
I had started off with a little air saw that really did a nice smooth job but the blade went out on me about 3 inches from being done. So then I moved to a bigger saw and that did just fine. A little harder to guide but pretty fast. I had some rubber trim that was perfect for it. It really gave it a "CLEAN SMOOTH PROFESSIONAL" look to it. Not some hack weekend job. I've really happy with the out come of it at this point. I can't wait to try those 35s on again.

I have one concern at this point, and that would be my rockrails. I'm thinking the 35s are going to hit/touch when turning and I might have to take off an inch or two and trim back just a bit more.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2107357934

Well I did this friday and it got dark pretty quick after fighting with the stupid washer bottle for to long. Mostly letting it drain. I thought it wasn't that full but it was. So at this point I have yet to get to them. The fliars will be coming off tis week and just trimming a bit off of the back for now. As soon as that sucker is paid off I'm going to go buck wild on the XJ.

Those are 32x11.50s I wish I had 33s ok I wish I had 35 mtrs And I will one of these days.

I need a flex ramp to test it out see how far I can go and see were my bumpstops are at.

Nice job on the trim! I just trimmed my fronts. What did you do with the pinch seams that are inside, towards the door? Did you hammer those flat or trim them too? My 32s were rubbing those as well.

might as well just hammer them down if you're talking about the ones inside of the fender itself in the front.

if it's hitting on there, more then likely it's gonna rub a bit on the fender well itself anyway.

I hammered mine down to avoid having the tire get sliced up

btw im running a 5.5" Rubicon Express HD Lift with Drop Brackets, 35x12.5" tires, bumpstopped and steering stopped accordingly.

gregmondro said:
what size lift are you running?

I'm running the R.E. 4.5 superflex kit with upgrades. OME shocks. HD adjustable track bar and bracket the JKS discos that I never reconnected from who knows how long ago.

djblade311 said:
Nice job on the trim! I just trimmed my fronts. What did you do with the pinch seams that are inside, towards the door? Did you hammer those flat or trim them too? My 32s were rubbing those as well.

Mine haven't rubbed on that part yet. I was planning on just hammering them back.

Thats a good job, but there was no reason to cut that much, lol. I am running the same lift, there is no need for anything over 4.5" running 35s or smaller.

I guess I like being uniform. I left the little lip upfront to make it match the rear cut n bend job I did. Should look good when its all bedlined.

rearfenders.jpg

P1010152.jpg

My 32s rubbed and flexed the heck out of that lip part even up into the fender well were that cross brace is I ripped both of those off. I'm trying to keep the COG low and not kill or get as much of my upflex. I've seen alot of guys that used the TJ rears up front and just matched that cut to that upper line. I have the trim on it right now and like that look. If I go to the 35s and differen't BS on the rims I know they are going to stick out a bit more. I have a pretty stoute bumper on the frount so the front end is a bit down aswell.

Speaking of if you got 35s what rim and BS are you using. sounds like 4.1/4 is about average for what people are using for BS on 35s.

Back