• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 front axle help

mattmocarsky

NAXJA Forum User
While removing my fron axle u-joint I mananged to bend up the removable metal ring that sits just behind the front spline. What is this ring for and can I just bend it back into shape. If bending it back is not a good idea can I buy it seperately without having to buy the axle. Thanks.

Matt

I *think* you're talking about the little dust shield? What year are we talking about (I only ask because in the older Jeeps, say '89 the dust shield was plastic).

Are you talking about hte metal collar that is next to the U-Joint on the inner axle shaft?

(I don't have any pictures, but..we...here)

---------------|--UU//UU---

So the --- is shaft, the | is the shield, and the UU/UU is the U-Joint, with the left going into the diff and the right going to the wheel, right?

If so, I'd say just try to bend it to be as true as you can, and slap it back in, should be good.

Sequoia

PS- Got any pictures?

Actually the dust cover on the inner axle on my 2000 XJ is plastic. The part I'm refering to is on the outer axle, right behind the hub and it is metal. Also seems to be some sort of dust guard. Guess I'll just hammer it back in to shape and slap it back on. Doesn't seem like it will bother anything. Thanks.

Matt

That would be the guard for the rotor. You CAN bend it back to shape, just make sure it's not rubbing the rotor.:cool:

Back