• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slip Yoke Seal Blew When Greased

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Greasing my jeep and got to the slip yoke, greased it and the seal assembly popped out about quarter inch, from grease pressure. It is now crooked, cockeyed such that the drive shaft is distorting the seal lip.

Is the seal assembly simply pressed on to the end of the slip yoke? I tried some hammer and punch blows, and cant get it to seat back straight. Cant get it to budge back into location with hammer. Does the axle need to come off the jeep and have a press used to push the slip yoke seal back on the shaft?

Unscrew and remove the grease fitting and see what happens. If I'm understanding correctly you've pushed to much grease in there and turned your slip shaft into a piston.

The wiper(seal) is inside the dust cover. The covers are either threaded on or held on by several tangs that are folded over into the yoke. There should also be a vent/bleed hole in the yoke next to the u-joint.

You're talking about the front drive shaft right? I agree, the best answer is to remove the grease fitting and gently tap the seal back in place with a block of wood and a mallet. You might consider unbolting it from the differential and fully extending the shaft to push the excess out as well, so it doesn't pop again when you hit a good bump. Don't try to push the seal the rest of the way off as they're a pain to get back in place, especially if the rubber has hardened over time.

Resolved, had to remove the grease nipple to allow it to depressurize, then the seal could be pushed back into place. There was no vent hole on the yoke end on this set up. This is aftermarket drive shaft on a lifted jeep.

Back