• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Instrument Panel Gage Ground Location, 1990 XJ Laredo

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
The Instrument ground point to the body for the gages is what I am looking for, where is it? I am trying to trouble shoot some funny gage readings, volt gage, and oil pressure gage read funny at times. I assume they need to reference to a good ground potential, hence me wanting to know where the ground lug is. I have the factory electric service book, but haven't found this info yet

1990 XJ Laredo
Thanks

Old Man or Cruiser would know for sure but if I recall correctly the entire dash is grounded by a small (I think undersized) wire that exits next to the drivers side kick panel and screws into the bottom left screw that holds the bottom of the lower dash assembly. The screw faces directly to the floor and mounts vertically.

In my experience that connection accumulates rust and is one of the many things I had to fix on my '90XJ

Old Man or Cruiser would know for sure but if I recall correctly the entire dash is grounded by a small (I think undersized) wire that exits next to the drivers side kick panel and screws into the bottom left screw that holds the bottom of the lower dash assembly. The screw faces directly to the floor and mounts vertically.

In my experience that connection accumulates rust and is one of the many things I had to fix on my '90XJ

You are correct!! http://cruiser54.com/?p=110

The most common failure is actually corroded connections from the flex circuit on the back of the cluster to the connector (with all the wires). Remove the connector and burnish the flex circuit with an abrasive eraser and replace.

Back