• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another leak fixed: PS Pressure Hose

Saudade

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Had this small leak for a while but could never tell where it came from (or from where it came). Definitely power steering fluid as the reservoir would need refilling and the pump would start to whine due to air in the system.

Real problem was looking from above you could see the oil all over the box, frame and linkage but was dry topside. Looking from below was simply an oily mess. Not an easy area to clean out.

Anyway the leak finally grew to the point where once I wiped it down, I could see the leak drip from spot on the pressure hose about halfway down where it crosses the return line and lower rad hose. It was on the bottom so i could only see it from below.

Thankfully, the nuts broke free without too much effort (used a crow's foot on the box side connection. The lower rad hose was a bit in the way but rather than take it off, and then half to burp the closed system), I simply tied it up and away a bit to get more room. The only other steps were removing the splash guard (yes I still have it on!) and the efan.

After wiping down everything I could reach, the new hose slipped in easily (once I tied up the the lower rad hose). Refilled the reservoir, out for a few turns around the block, and still dry (relatively speaking), reservoir still full.

Overall, not a bad job, just a bit messy due to all of the oil and other-wordly sludge you find underneath this beasts.

Back