• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper Washer Over Ride

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi... I have a 1990 Cherokee Laredo. This Jeep has an intermittent window wiper factory option.

When I want to wash the window using the squirter system, it works as per the glove box owners manual... I push the wash squirter tab on the turn signal stalk, this activates the squirters, AND runs the wipers for several cycles.

Is there a wire alteration I can make to disable the automatic wiper turn on when the washer squirter is used? I want to be able to use the washer squirter with manual control of the wipers.

There are times when I want to do lots of squirting of the washer without wiper action. I recently experienced this need for lots of washing fluid squirts, with no wiper while off roading. Mud was all over the glass from hitting some rather large puddles. I wanted to use lots of squirter fluid to help loosen up the dirt prior to using the wiper blades on it. As it was, the automatic turn on wipers smeared the mud on the glass before enough fluid could be dispensed to thin it out so that it could be wiped away properly.

Is there some logic circuit that controls this via a computer, or is it simply switches that I can bypass in the squirter circuit?

Thanks in advance for solutions to my muddy windshield!

Wire a button to power the windshield washer pump independently of the wipers.
You can either disconnect the wiper connection or isolate the button power using a diode, to prevent back feeding into the wiper circuit.
A FSM, for your year XJ, will provide a schematic and the locations of the wires you need to access.

Ok, thanks, checked out the diagram... Looks like I can cut the wire from switch to the wiper module, and wire from wiper module to pump, and use that switch to trigger a relay to power the pump. I dont want to run the pump thru the delicate switch without a relay, too much currect for such a little switch . The pump relay is built into the module evidently, so I need to add my own.

I bet there’s already a relay isolating the pump from the rest of the circuit. If so you could wire your own switch and relay directly to the pump and leave the other wiring alone.

My guess is that the relay would be in the wiper module box, maybe it is solid state. I dont see a stand alone relay in the factory diagrams. Thus I will add my own I think. I will know more once I dig into it, I dont know if the wiper module is accessible internally.

Back