• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1991 U-Joint job Q's

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks,

Couple questions:

1) Is it necessary/good practice to replace axle seals when changing u-joints? They are not currently leaking.

2) When changing the u-joints in the double cardan, should i replace ball/seat with a kit, or is cleaning everything up and repacking sufficient? Not currently making noise so I assume still in good shape.

Axle seals are a completely different job with no relevance to the driveshaft. As far as the centering ball goes, you really won't know until it's dis-assembled, cleaned, and inspected.

When installing the axle shafts, go slow and steady, hold them up out of the grime in the axle tubes, and if they don't slide right in, be gentle or you will wreck or dislodge the inner axle seals. If the center ball isn't making an angry sparrow noises, it is probably fine.

Last edited:
Piggiebacking a question on here.. are you using the spicer u-joints? Which spacer are you supposed to use? Is it different for different jeeps? Any other tips on the swap? (specifically for driveshaft for me but either)

Piggiebacking a question on here.. are you using the spicer u-joints? Which spacer are you supposed to use? Is it different for different jeeps? Any other tips on the swap? (specifically for driveshaft for me but either)

What spacer?

A large flat head screwdriver inserted into the axle tube from the side helps keep the tip of the axle shaft from introducing grime into the inner axle seals. It’s very possible to knock off the garter spring on d30 axle seals, and you won’t know it til you drive it.

I still wouldn’t consider them to be related job wise.

The factory axle seals also have the guides.IIRC

Guides don’t keep axle tube debris from being pushed into your seals when you drag the splines thru 2 feet of grime.
But you do you, gentlemen.

Back