NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > Sierra Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Sierra Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old February 28th, 2022, 10:56
NAXJA Member

Re: XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTremp View Post
Did some digging and WJ booster isnít compatible with the Durango/Dakota MCs. Need a 97-01 booster now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I tossed it but I might have one
Old February 28th, 2022, 17:37
NAXJA Forum User

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Did some digging and WJ booster isnít compatible with the Durango/Dakota MCs. Need a 97-01 booster now.

I wish I knew what you were doing. I learned the hard way too. It needs to be 3 1/2Ē spacing for the studs to line up with the master cylinder. Have you checked a Dodge Ram 2500 from the 98-2000 year? Maybe a local parts store has one you can measure.
Old October 1st, 2022, 23:06
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

So I ended up using the same MC as Nate, and it fit fine but the push rod in the booster (97-01) was too long and my pedal was bottoming out in the MC about 3 inches from the firewall. I now have a 96 booster which is supposed to be the correct one that works with 86-94 (I think) XJs. But on top of that I have not been able to get a good hard pedal. Bled it 3-4x in the correct pattern. Going to put this new booster in and bleed it again. Hopefully i can get it bled right this time.

Old October 3rd, 2022, 06:13
NAXJA Member

Being a 90 with a 95/96 booster, you will need to grind down a section of the rod for your brake switch to work. Or you can retrofit a later model switch and figure a way to have it hit the pedal. Otherwise your brake lights won't work.
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console
Old October 3rd, 2022, 10:12
NAXJA Forum User

XJ axle swap/build

Sooo V8 durango master cylinder and brake booster off a 96 XJ with the pedal hella modified so it connects to the stock pedal?
Old October 4th, 2022, 20:17
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose_XJ88 View Post
Being a 90 with a 95/96 booster, you will need to grind down a section of the rod for your brake switch to work. Or you can retrofit a later model switch and figure a way to have it hit the pedal. Otherwise your brake lights won't work.

Yes, thatís been done. I think itís the flasher or a ground. Found I have a lot of air in the system regardless of bleeding it a lot

Old October 4th, 2022, 20:18
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Mock View Post
Sooo V8 durango master cylinder and brake booster off a 96 XJ with the pedal hella modified so it connects to the stock pedal?

I would say mildly modified.

Old October 6th, 2022, 10:35
NAXJA Forum User

XJ axle swap/build

Gotcha. I have the WJ booster and (probably) the stock 89 master and the brakes are horrible on mine with a Dana 60 front. They were great with stock axles though. The Durango master wouldnít fit the booster so Iím now fishing for something different.
Old October 6th, 2022, 10:46
NAXJA Member

I have straight up manual brakes on the buggy, with Ford dual piston Dana 60 calipers up front and the typical 3/4 ton Chevy front calipers in the rear, and it’s pretty nice. Buggy though so I don’t really get past second gear in high range.
G & G Offroad and Auto Repair can make you think you can run the Box!
Old October 6th, 2022, 14:01
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Gotcha. I have the WJ booster and (probably) the stock 89 master and the brakes are horrible on mine with a Dana 60 front. They were great with stock axles though. The Durango master wouldnít fit the booster so Iím now fishing for something different.

Yeah. I had a similar set up with stock axles and it was awesome. Now I have a similar set up to Phil, and it giving me fits getting it bled. You might want to look into 96 booster. It fit well for me with the Durango mc.

Old October 6th, 2022, 14:13
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I have straight up manual brakes on the buggy, with Ford dual piston Dana 60 calipers up front and the typical 3/4 ton Chevy front calipers in the rear, and itís pretty nice. Buggy though so I donít really get past second gear in high range.

I have a similar set up but I have the el dorado calipers with the ebrake arm. What mc/booster are you running?

Old October 8th, 2022, 15:58
NAXJA Forum User

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Yeah. I had a similar set up with stock axles and it was awesome. Now I have a similar set up to Phil, and it giving me fits getting it bled. You might want to look into 96 booster. It fit well for me with the Durango mc.

I found a 95 booster and discovered the Ram 1500 has the same master. So now I need to apparently adjust the booster rod length and install everything.
Old October 8th, 2022, 17:36
NAXJA Member

Quote:
I have a similar set up but I have the el dorado calipers with the ebrake arm. What mc/booster are you running?

I have no brake booster. I have a CNC dual master cylinder. I donít have the size listed electronically, I think I must have ordered from Kartek over the phone, and will dig through my stack of receipts to see if it is there.
G & G Offroad and Auto Repair can make you think you can run the Box!
Old October 9th, 2022, 17:00
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
I found a 95 booster and discovered the Ram 1500 has the same master. So now I need to apparently adjust the booster rod length and install everything.

I got the 96 and I didnít have to adjust the booster push rod.

Old October 9th, 2022, 17:00
NAXJA Member

XJ axle swap/build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I have no brake booster. I have a CNC dual master cylinder. I donít have the size listed electronically, I think I must have ordered from Kartek over the phone, and will dig through my stack of receipts to see if it is there.

Oh I got you. Thanks! That would be cool to look into.