• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long time coming. LS swapped XJ back in service.

jamiemac

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my old XJ since 2007, and it didn't spend much time completely stock after I got it. I'm no youngster, so sore hands, plus aches and pains everywhere else make the mods I've been working on go mighty slow. I swapped in a 5.7 LS1 some years back, and it was never really, "right" as I was always chasing overheating issues, and various other little things. Even with the issues, it's be one hell of a fun machine.

Somewhere along the way, a goof on my part rendered the 5.7 into pretty much a boat anchor. In comes an iron block 6.0.

Well, the 6 got a little more care going in, as I went with the LS1 241 heads. and I ported them before the install. Replaced the Novak radiator with a custom built one from C&R Racing out of Indy. It's a helluva unit, and should have handled the cooling duties just fine, and it did...until it didn't.

So anyways, I was heading towards Moab on I-70 west, and was about halfway through Kansas when the temps started climbing. The higher we got in altitude, the warmer she got. By the time we got to the CO state line, we had to head back. It was starting to leak oil, and tranny fluid because of the heat

Well, I love this thing. It's the last vehicle I ever got to drive My Mom around in, as well as my Brother. They're both gone now, but still have the memories with this ol Jeep. I pretty much had no choice but to fix it.

Sooo, I just drove it on Saturday. First shakedown since a major upgrade/refurb/mod session that started October of last year. Here's a list of the upgrades as I currently can remember. Bound to miss some.

LQ4 Swap with 241 ported heads.
Holley Accessory Drive with high mounted alt and AC unit.

Holley 36 lb per hr injectors
C&R Racing custom radiator.
Aux radiator bottom mounted by CSF.

4L60e Transmission. Rebuilt by me. Shortened output shaft.
231J T-Case with HD output shaft. Don't remember the brand
Holley Terminator X Max ECU mounted under the passenger seat.
New floorboards welded in.

456 gears frt and rear.
Custom driveshafts by Carolina Driveline.
Cable operated TCase shifter by Novak.
Steel frt and rear bumpers. Aftermarket.
Custom built tire carrier by Me. LOL
Custom build gauge cluster with Autometer gauges.
B&M Shifter.
Ford Focus grey leather seats.
Miles of custom wiring, also by Me.
Custom dual exhaust, with V-band connectors. Welded and fabricated by Me.

Probably be adding to the list. Bound to have forgotten some stuff.

Here's some pics. Some old, and a couple from today.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k1UGYPPO3BDdia6fe4WWwYUMZiLZliXw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gUjw2vzwMd4xJBmS60NS90H9_AC9ff0q/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cbgdRiu-87DS_5CxauoIOMLiulQSnMqy/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IQUfh_HyLAzF6CcdFoeGDhxBfVHHhQO1/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XUi9EYnh4d_PX7DkVoxV4Cm4LHOFtgzc/view?usp=sharing

I'm planning an LS swap. So, a few questions.
was the 5.7 an aluminum block? Tire size? Looks to be at least a 35". What headers did you use? Auxiliary cooler? Trans cooler?

Running 33" Falken Wildpeaks. Yeah, the 5.7 was an aluminum LS1, and they'll hold up fine. The headers are made by Sanderson, and were sold by Novak for LS swapped XJs. There's cast iron headers available now though on Summitt and Jegs that'll probably work, and will hold up netter. The transmission cooler is a 9x11 stacked plate style, with AN style connectors. The auxiliary radiator in mounted under the main one, at about a 15 degree angle, behind the bumper.

OK, so two radiators. Then a trans cooler. Ever think about an oil cooler?
I run the Wildpeaks on my XJ. Really like them for the road. Did good wheeling.

Did you keep the stock cam or aftermarket? Valve train upgrades? Also, fuel pump?

I do like how you looped the air filter back. I could see making a cold air box, then either to a snorkel or to a hood scoop. At least gives me ideas.

OK, so two radiators. Then a trans cooler. Ever think about an oil cooler?
I run the Wildpeaks on my XJ. Really like them for the road. Did good wheeling.

Did you keep the stock cam or aftermarket? Valve train upgrades? Also, fuel pump?

I do like how you looped the air filter back. I could see making a cold air box, then either to a snorkel or to a hood scoop. At least gives me ideas.

I have considered an oil cooler. The header sits too close to the flange of the oil pan where the lines would come out. So the cooling capacity of the radiators will have to get it done.

Stock cam, as the heat issued had me concentrating on getting that sorted before making more power. I'm considering it down the road though. Seriously though, it makes more power now than it'll ever need. It'll spin the back tires at the drop of a hat.
Aeromotive fuel pump. I forget the size off hand. In tank, with a billet piece replacing the original Jeep pressure regulator, and I've plumbed AN fittings to that. Fuel system works pretty good, for something I've cobbled together.

Any pics of the aux radiator and how it’s plumbed? I’ve wondered about doing something like that to increase capacity. My old tired 270K 4.0 could use some help climbing grades on the highway in the summer.

Any pics of the aux radiator and how it’s plumbed? I’ve wondered about doing something like that to increase capacity. My old tired 270K 4.0 could use some help climbing grades on the highway in the summer.
Here's a couple of crappy pics, but it shows where the inlet and outlet are. As you can see, there's a lot of fabrication here. I've cut away the lower radiator support, and reinforced what's left with square tube. Welded mounting tabs on behind the bumper, to locate the radiator at about a 15 degree angle. Built a steel crossover that bolts in, for a little protection. After some testing, and I'm sure this is going to stay. I'll build a more robust skid plate/crash bar for it.

It's plumbed in parallel with the main radiator, by tapping into the radiator hoses with 3/4 inch engine heater adapters. Designed originally for running coolant heater setups.
So far, it's working pretty well. About 100 miles of on road testing, and tuning. I'm still working on tuning the Terminator PCM.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YqoT0KBzpY0Zag9-c5UyXRy_MMtDnWQy/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/168laFjJM5YLCYFj4q3QbkTFpLLdKwFY9/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the exhaust pics. Answered some questions. Two trans coolers? Or what's the other for? Also, pic of battery location(s)?

Thanks for the exhaust pics. Answered some questions. Two trans coolers? Or what's the other for? Also, pic of battery location(s)?
Small one is a power steering cooler. Battery is in the back. I have a pile of parts back there, but I'll try to get a pic when I go out to mess with the tune today.

Man thats the best damn stroker 4.0 ive ever seen
Badass build
7c78cff2ad73c2b6f14b0ad5e0ff3142.jpg
97896827864b559307466bf6da135090.jpg
9aef9ea422959ab5dfb4745450d45930.jpg
384a054872ecd31d21d275ced4163d14.jpg
5c18270b233eb51e26c6d6e35ed72b75.jpg
ca47c55669f21eb319c659bf9d91ee4d.jpg
35323f02cf7c46ed22630fab33e04dc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Nice looking swap....what kind of fender flares are those?? been looking for some nicer bolt on or rivet on flares to get rid of my stock stuff. going to trim fenders to clear bigger tires anyway. thanks

Nice looking swap....what kind of fender flares are those?? been looking for some nicer bolt on or rivet on flares to get rid of my stock stuff. going to trim fenders to clear bigger tires anyway. thanks
Napier Precision flares. They have a facebook page, and are in my area here in Indiana. Good folks, and the owner met me to deliver my flares in His own XJ.

https://napierprecisionproducts.com/

Back