• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A 4.7 build!

We're still looking for a cam bolt washer, if anyone knows of one let me know!

We got the crank, rods, and pistons in. Russ thru me a curveball with these pistons, mine were cut with symmetrical valve pockets and these are directional.
P1080510_zpszrlfib5k.jpg

P1090200.JPG

We're getting closer! At least he's using ARP rocker studs!
P1090205.JPG

P1090203.JPG

P1090204.JPG

Those rocker arms are very interesting. I take it you are using hydraulic lifters not the solid ones. If so, how much do you tighten them after 0 lash? What ratio are they? The stamped steel OEM rockers are questionable to me in terms of accuracy. I wonder if those rockers will fit under the stamped steel valve cover on the later 4.0's.

It has been years since I adjusted rockers. Years ago, that was commonplace for me years ago working on power boats in the VI.

Quite a beauty you have there.

The Harlandsharp rockers are the same as the factory ones (1.6) and they install exactly as factory they are desinged to work with our hydraulic lifter cams. I started with HS rockers on my own 4.6 and did end up getting some new pushrods to get the proper lifter per-load before I installed Scorpion 1.7's. I started with a 2000 factory valve cover before going to a aluminum cover.
P1080520_zpsjbqdlveo.jpg

P1080660_zpszodxu14u.jpg

The Harlandsharp rockers are the same as the factory ones (1.6) and they install exactly as factory they are desinged to work with our hydraulic lifter cams. I started with HS rockers on my own 4.6 and did end up getting some new pushrods to get the proper lifter per-load before I installed Scorpion 1.7's. I started with a 2000 factory valve cover before going to a aluminum cover.
P1080520_zpsjbqdlveo.jpg

Thanks for your reply.
I like the looks of those Harland Sharp ones. They look familiar to those on the 500 CI Chevy blocks back then. I did remember using some stainless-steel ones also.
When adjusting them, did you turn them down 1/2 turn after 0 last? I did remember 3/4 turn for the regular guys and 1/4 turn for the go-fast crowd. There were also some solid lifter guys that had about 0.010 lash.

There is no adjustment (other than push rod length) on a 4.0, the rocker bolts down hard on the pedestals/trunion shafts with torque!

Just to be clear, the Harland Shart roller rockers will fit under a factory valve cover without reguiring the use of a spacer or any other mods?

P1080520_zpsjbqdlveo.jpg

P1080660_zpszodxu14u.jpg

It is a Moroso pan that Bill thought was a good idea....... I had nothing to do with it! He reads to many magazines, yesterday he was asking about the need to index the spark plugs!!!!
https://www.moroso.com/chrysler-jeep27862/

Just to be clear, the Harland Sharp roller rockers will fit under a factory valve cover without requiring the use of a spacer or any other mods?

No spacer but I did have drill holes for my ARP studs, I can't speak for the standard bolt mounting.

I've only seen any oil pressure drop on extreme descents but it might have some value sometime!

Got the motor completed and installed! Unfortunately the new dual cat y-pipe doesn't fit with the oil pan. He's going to need to take it to the muffler shop for some creative work!
P1090206.JPG

P1090207.JPG

nice motor mount setup and really shiny paint on motor.....very clean looking install as always RCP....when you doing mine??? LOL just kidding, I can't afford you or make it that far away with my rig

This has been all donated time and tool use !!!!

Got it fired up today and got the cam broke-in, oil change tomorrow and he can start getting some break-in miles. Sound pretty good so far!!!

Back