• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2WD to 4WD Conversion

cdebey

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 2-Dr RWD Cherokee and am thinking about doing the conversion. From what I have read, I can replace the straight axle with a Dana 30, remove the rear nipple from my AX15 5-Speed and bolt up a NP242. Has anyone had any experience with this?

You'll need a full transmission tear-down.

You have to either change the main shaft of the tranny or get a 4wd trans.

I did this swap. Ridiculously easy. I kept grinning at how easy it was. The holes for the bracket for the Tcase shift linkage are there. Everything is there. Where the tcase shifter would mount there's just a blank plate screwed in. Comes out, shifter goes in.

But you need the tcase, all the shift linkage and bracket and shifter assembly. You could always buy an aftermarket cable shifter though too. And then you'll have to figure out what to do about the trans. Buy a front driveshaft from the correct jeep and you're in business.

With my setup I had to extend the wiring for the speedo back to the tcase since it was on the back of the tranny before. It wasn't quite long enough as is.

Back