• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NotAMechanic Green 2000 XJ Build

notamechanic

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

Finally putting some focus into building the Jeep after three years of ownership. This is my first XJ and 3rd jeep. The first two being Wranglers. Loved those little things, but wanted a little more comfort and needed more space so the XJ was the only way to go.

A little about this XJ
I bought it in 2016 with 71,000 miles on it. Completely stock.
Was rear ended during the previous ownership and some parts of the body are not exactly straight.

Parts installed/mods
Zone 4.5" lift w/ add-a-leafs
RE steering stabilizer
Rough country track bar
Rock Hard patriot rear bumper & tire carrier
2013 JKR wheels
35" KM2's - as of last week
DIY ebay window tint
Rugged Ridge H4 headlight conversion
cut and fold rear fenders
cut front fenders

Parts to be installed
Steering of some sort (searching for suggestions in another forum)
ACOS adjustable spacers
JKS quick disconnects
4:88 gears
Alloy shafts
durango steering box
4.5" RE full leaf packs ( with the 1.5" zone shackles )
SYE kit & DS
front bumper
Dirtbound fenders
Iron rock rock link long arm upgrade
Rockrails - whatever cheapest and most stout
gas tank skid
better shocks than what came with the zone lift - suggestions appreciated

Let me know if I'm missing anything else. Goal is to run rubicon and other local California trails by next summer.
Mind you I am not a mechanic of any sort. Doing all of these with the exception of the regear on my own. to any other beginner mechanics out there, if I can do this so can you!

Some photos
image_zpsu96bvq7k.jpeg

image_zpsu96bvq7k.jpeg

image_zpsu96bvq7k.jpeg

IMG_1439_zps1gxbt5lt.jpg

IMG_1439_zps1gxbt5lt.jpg

Looks real good, nice work. I just swapped in a pair of Old Man Emu shocks into the rear of mine and couldn't be happier with them. Completely eliminated the sway I previously had at highway speeds and are tons more comfortable around town on potholes and rough stuff. I was running some basic Napa shocks, can't remember what brand, but I would imagine the Zone shocks wouldn't be very different.

Looks real good, nice work. I just swapped in a pair of Old Man Emu shocks into the rear of mine and couldn't be happier with them. Completely eliminated the sway I previously had at highway speeds and are tons more comfortable around town on potholes and rough stuff. I was running some basic Napa shocks, can't remember what brand, but I would imagine the Zone shocks wouldn't be very different.

OME shocks have great reviews. I would consider them if they made long enough ones. The zone shocks are pretty soft and don't feel terrible on the road, but my last set of tires cupped on the front pretty bad. Even after alignments, balancing and rotation. Suspect it might be the shocks.

Back